SubjectRE: rtlwifi/rtl8192cu AP mode broken with PS STA
Date

Got it.

> This tasklet is scheduled on a RTL_IMR_BCNINT interrupt, which sounds
> like a beacon interval interrupt.

Yes, PCI series update every beacon, so TIM and DTIM count maintained by
mac80211 work properly.

> >> I don't have a rtl8192cu dongle on hand, but I'll try to find one.
> >
> > Maceij,
> >
> > Does this patch fix the problem?
>
> The beacon seems to be updating now and STAs no longer get stuck in PS
> mode.
> Although sometimes (every 2-3 minutes with continuous 1s interval pings)
> there is around 5s delay in updating the transmitted beacon - don't know
> why, maybe the NIC hardware still has the old version in queue?

Since USB device doesn't update every beacon, dtim_count isn't updated neither.
It leads STA doesn't awake properly. Please try to fix dtim_period=1 in
hostapd.conf, which tells STA awakes every beacon interval.

> I doubt, however that this set_tim() callback should be added for every
> rtlwifi device type.
>
> As I have said above, PCI devices seem to already have a mechanism in
> place to update their beacon each beacon interval.
> Your test that RTL8821AE works without this patch confirms that (at
> least for the rtl8821ae driver).
>
> It seems this callback is only necessarily for USB rtlwifi devices.
> Which currently means rtl8192cu only.

I agree with you.

--
Ping-Ke

  Last update: 2021-04-08 06:44    [W:0.105 / U:0.140 seconds]