    SubjectRe: [RFC] bpf.2: Use standard types and attributes
    On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 10:56 AM Alejandro Colomar (man-pages)
    <alx.manpages@gmail.com> wrote:

    > Hello Alexei,
    >
    > On 4/24/21 1:20 AM, Alexei Starovoitov wrote:
    > > Nack.
    > > The man page should describe the kernel api the way it is in .h file.
    >
    > Why?

    Because man page must describe the linux uapi headers the way they
    are installed in the system and not invent alternative implementations.
    The users will include those .h with __u32 and will see them in their code.
    Man page saying something else is a dangerous lie.

    > using uint32_t in every situation where __u32 is expected. They're both
    > typedefs for the same basic type.

    That's irrelevant. Languages like golang have their own bpf.h equivalent
    that matches /usr/include/linux/bpf.h.

    > I can understand why Linux will keep using u32 types (and their __ user
    > space variants), but that doesn't mean user space programs need to use
    > the same type.

    No one says that the users must use __u32. See golang example.
    But if the users do #include <linux/bpf.h> they will get them and man page
    must describe that.

    > If we have a standard syntax for fixed-width integral types (and for
    > anything, actually), the manual pages should probably follow it,
    > whenever possible.

    Absolutely not. linux man page must describe linux.

      Last update: 2021-04-25 18:53    [W:4.269 / U:0.224 seconds]