SubjectRe: Candidate Linux ABI for Intel AMX and hypothetical new related features
Date
On 4/19/21 2:33 PM, Len Brown via Libc-alpha wrote:
> the AI guys are super excited about matrix multiplication,
> but I have a hard time imagining why grep(1) would find a use for it.

I don't. Matrix multiplication is used in modern string-searching
algorithms that could be useful in running 'grep' on CPUs that have
relevant hardware support. See, for example:

Susanina Y, Yaveyn A, Grigorev S. Modification of Valiant’s Parsing
Algorithm for the String-Searching Problem. CIBB 2019.
https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-63061-4_17

Although nowadays this technology is typically proposed for
bioinformatics (DNA pattern matching, etc.), it's not that much of a
stretch to imagine a future 'grep' or 'diff' that does matrix
multiplication. After all, GNU 'diff' currently uses an algorithm
designed by a DNA expert.

(We now return you to the regular AMX debates. :-)

  Last update: 2021-04-20 02:02    [W:0.193 / U:0.484 seconds]