SubjectRe: next/master bisection: baseline.login on rk3288-rock2-square
On 05/02/2021 12:05, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Feb 2021 at 09:21, Ard Biesheuvel <ardb@kernel.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 4 Feb 2021 at 22:31, Guillaume Tucker
>> <guillaume.tucker@collabora.com> wrote:

>>> That was close, except we're cross-compiling with GCC for arm.
>>> So I've now built a plain next-20210203 (without Ard's fix) using
>>> this command line:
>>>
>>> make LD=arm-linux-gnueabihf-ld.bfd -j18 ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- LLVM=1 CC="ccache clang" zImage
>>>
>>> I'm using a modified Docker image gtucker/kernelci-build-clang-11
>>> with the very latest LLVM 11 and gcc-8-arm-linux-gnueabihf
>>> packages added to be able to use the GNU linker. BTW I guess we
>>> should enable this kind of hybrid build setup on kernelci.org as
>>> well.
>>>
>>> Full build log + kernel binaries can be found here:
>>>
>>> https://storage.staging.kernelci.org/gtucker/next-20210203-ard-fix/v5.10-rc4-24722-g58b6c0e507b7-gtucker_single-staging-41/arm/multi_v7_defconfig/clang-11/
>>>
>>> And this booted fine, which confirms it's really down to how
>>> ld.lld puts together the kernel image. Does it actually solve
>>> the debate whether this is an issue to fix in the assembly code
>>> or at link time?
>>>
>>> Full test job details for the record:
>>>
>>> https://lava.collabora.co.uk/scheduler/job/3176004
>>>

>> So the issue appears to be in the way the linker generates the
>> _kernel_bss_size symbol, which obviously has an impact, given that the
>> queued fix takes it into account in the cache_clean operation.
>>
>> On GNU ld, I see
>>
>> 479: 00065e14 0 NOTYPE GLOBAL DEFAULT ABS _kernel_bss_size
>>
>> whereas n LLVM ld.lld, I see
>>
>> 433: c1c86e98 0 NOTYPE GLOBAL DEFAULT ABS _kernel_bss_size
>>
>> and adding this value may cause the cache clean to operate on unmapped
>> addresses, or cause the addition to wrap and not perform a cache clean
>> at all.
>>
>> AFAICT, this also breaks the appended DTB case in LLVM, so this needs
>> a separate fix in any case.
>
> I pushed a combined branch of torvalds/master, rmk/fixes (still
> containing my 9052/1 fix) and this patch to my for-kernelci branch
>
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/ardb/linux.git/log/
>
> Guillaume,
>
> It seems there is no Clang-11 coverage there, right? Mind giving this
> branch a spin? If this fixes the regressions, we can get these queued
> up.

That's right, Clang builds are only enabled on linux-next and
mainline at the moment. We could enable it on any other branch
where it makes sense. How about just the main defconfig for arm,
arm64 and x86_64 on your ardb/for-kernelci branch?

For now I've run another set of builds with clang-11 and got the
following test results with your branch on staging:

https://staging.kernelci.org/test/job/ardb/branch/for-kernelci/kernel/v5.11-rc6-146-g923ca344043a/plan/baseline/

which are all passing.

I'll reply to the thread with your patch to confirm.

Guillaume

  Last update: 2021-02-06 14:12    [W:0.098 / U:0.696 seconds]