    SubjectRe: ERROR: INT DW_ATE_unsigned_1 Error emitting BTF type
    On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 10:54 PM Yonghong Song <yhs@fb.com> wrote:

    > On 2/5/21 12:31 PM, Sedat Dilek wrote:

    > >> In LLVM, we have:
    > >> uint8_t BTFEncoding;
    > >> switch (Encoding) {
    > >> case dwarf::DW_ATE_boolean:
    > >> BTFEncoding = BTF::INT_BOOL;
    > >> break;
    > >> case dwarf::DW_ATE_signed:
    > >> case dwarf::DW_ATE_signed_char:
    > >> BTFEncoding = BTF::INT_SIGNED;
    > >> break;
    > >> case dwarf::DW_ATE_unsigned:
    > >> case dwarf::DW_ATE_unsigned_char:
    > >> BTFEncoding = 0;
    > >> break;
    > >>
    > >> I think DW_ATE_unsigned can be ignored in pahole since
    > >> the default encoding = 0. A simple comment is enough.
    > >>

    > > Yonghong Son, do you have a patch/diff for me?
    >
    > Looking at error message from log:
    >
    > LLVM_OBJCOPY=/opt/binutils/bin/objcopy /opt/pahole/bin/pahole -J
    > .tmp_vmlinux.btf
    > [115] INT DW_ATE_unsigned_1 Error emitting BTF type
    > Encountered error while encoding BTF.
    >
    > Not exactly what is the root cause. Maybe bt->bit_size is not
    > encoded correctly. Could you put vmlinux (in the above it is
    > .tmp_vmlinux.btf) somewhere, I or somebody else can investigate
    > and provide a proper fix.

    [ TO: Masahiro ]

    Thanks for taking care Yonghong - hope this is your first name, if not
    I am sorry.
    In case of mixing my first and last name you will make me female -
    Dilek is a Turkish female first name :-).
    So, in some cultures you need to be careful.

    Anyway... back to business and facts.

    Out of frustration I killed my last build via `make distclean`.
    The whole day I tested diverse combination of GCC-10 and LLVM-12
    together with BTF Kconfigs, selfmade pahole, etc.

    I will do ne run with some little changes:

    #1: Pass LLVM_IAS=1 to make (means use Clang's Integrated ASsembler -
    as per Nick this leads to the same error - should be unrelated)
    #2: I did: DEBUG_INFO_COMPRESSED y -> n

    #2 I did in case you need vmlinux and I have to upload - I will
    compress the resulting vmlinux with ZSTD.
    You need vmlinux or .tmp_vmlinux.btf file?
    Nick was not allowed from his company to download from a Dropbox link.
    So, as an alternative I can offer GoogleDrive...
    ...or bomb into your INBOX :-).

    Now, why I CCed Masahiro:

    In case of ERRORs when running `scripts/link-vmlinux.sh` above files
    will be removed.

    Last, I found a hack to bypass this - means to keep these files (I
    need to check old emails).

    Masahiro, you see a possibility to have a way to keep these files in
    case of ERRORs without doing hackery?

    From a previous post in this thread:

    + info BTF .btf.vmlinux.bin.o
    + [ != silent_ ]
    + printf %-7s %s\n BTF .btf.vmlinux.bin.o
    BTF .btf.vmlinux.bin.o
    + LLVM_OBJCOPY=llvm-objcopy /opt/pahole/bin/pahole -J .tmp_vmlinux.btf
    [2] INT long unsigned int Error emitting BTF type
    Encountered error while encoding BTF.
    + llvm-objcopy --only-section=.BTF --set-section-flags
    .BTF=alloc,readonly --strip-all .tmp_vmlinux.btf .btf.vmlinux.bin.o
    + info BTFIDS vmlinux
    + [ != silent_ ]
    + printf %-7s %s\n BTFIDS vmlinux
    BTFIDS vmlinux
    + ./tools/bpf/resolve_btfids/resolve_btfids vmlinux
    FAILED: load BTF from vmlinux: Invalid argument
    + on_exit
    + [ 255 -ne 0 ]
    + cleanup
    + rm -f .btf.vmlinux.bin.o
    + rm -f .tmp_System.map
    + rm -f .tmp_vmlinux.btf .tmp_vmlinux.kallsyms1
    .tmp_vmlinux.kallsyms1.S .tmp_vmlinux.kallsyms1.o
    .tmp_vmlinux.kallsyms2 .tmp_vmlinux.kallsyms2.S .tmp_vmlinux.kallsyms
    2.o
    + rm -f System.map
    + rm -f vmlinux
    + rm -f vmlinux.o
    make[3]: *** [Makefile:1166: vmlinux] Error 255

    ^^^ Look here.

    Thanks.

    Regards,
    - Sedat -

      Last update: 2021-02-06 05:59    [W:14.173 / U:0.016 seconds]