SubjectRe: Migration to trusted keys: sealing user-provided key?
Hi Jan,

On Sun, 31 Jan 2021 at 23:40, James Bottomley <jejb@linux.ibm.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2021-01-31 at 15:14 +0100, Jan Lübbe wrote:

> > Our goal in this case is to move away from having the dm-crypt key
> > material accessible to user-space on embedded devices. For an
> > existing dm-crypt volume, this key is fixed. A key can be loaded into
> > user key type and used by dm-crypt (cryptsetup can already do it this
> > way). But at this point, you can still do 'keyctl read' on that key,
> > exposing the key material to user space.
> >
> > Currently, with both encrypted and trusted keys, you can only
> > generate new random keys, not import existing key material.
> >
> > James Bottomley mentioned in the other reply that the key format will
> > become compatible with the openssl_tpm2_engine, which would provide a
> > workaround. This wouldn't work with OP-TEE-based trusted keys (see
> > Sumit Garg's series), though.
>
> Assuming OP-TEE has the same use model as the TPM, someone will
> eventually realise the need for interoperable key formats between key
> consumers and then it will work in the same way once the kernel gets
> updated to speak whatever format they come up with.

IIUC, James re-work for TPM trusted keys is to allow loading of sealed
trusted keys directly via user-space (with proper authorization) into
the kernel keyring.

I think similar should be achievable with OP-TEE (via extending pseudo
TA [1]) as well to allow restricted user-space access (with proper
authorization) to generate sealed trusted key blob that should be
interoperable with the kernel. Currently OP-TEE exposes trusted key
interfaces for kernel users only.

[1] https://github.com/OP-TEE/optee_os/blob/master/ta/trusted_keys/entry.c

-Sumit

> > > We upstreamed "trusted" & "encrypted" keys together in order to
> > > address this sort of problem. Instead of directly using a
> > > "trusted" key for persistent file signatures being stored as
> > > xattrs, the "encrypted" key provides one level of
> > > indirection. The "encrypted" key may be encrypted/decrypted with
> > > either a TPM based "trusted" key or with a "user" type symmetric
> > > key[1].
> > >
> > > Instead of modifying "trusted" keys, use a "user" type "encrypted"
> > > key.
> >
> > I don't see how this would help. When using dm-crypt with an
> > encrypted key, I can't use my existing key material.
> >
> > Except for the migration aspect, trusted keys seem ideal. Only a
> > single exported blob needs to be stored and can only be loaded/used
> > again on the same (trusted) system. Userspace cannot extract the key
> > material.
>
> Yes, that's what I was thinking ... especially when you can add policy
> to the keys, which includes PCR locking. Part of the problem is that
> changing policy, which you have to do if something happens to update
> the PCR values, is technically a migration, so your trusted keys for
> dm-crypt are really going to have to be migrateable.
>
> > To get to this point on systems in the field without re-encryption of
> > the whole storage, only the initial trusted/encrypted key creation
> > would need to allow passing in existing key material.
>
> What about a third option: why not make dm-crypt store the master key
> it uses as an encrypted key (if a parent trusted key is available)?
> That way you'd be able to extract the encrypted form of the key as
> root, but wouldn't be able to extract the actual master key.
>
> James

  Last update: 2021-02-02 13:19    [W:0.175 / U:0.160 seconds]