    SubjectRe: 5.10 LTS Kernel: 2 or 6 years?
    On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 04:54:24PM +0800, Hanjun Guo wrote:
    > Hi Greg,
    >
    > On 2021/1/26 15:29, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
    > [...]
    > >
    > > I want to see companies _using_ the kernel, and most importantly,
    > > _updating_ their devices with it, to know if it is worth to keep around
    > > for longer than 2 years. I also, hopefully, want to see how those
    > > companies will help me out in the testing and maintenance of that kernel
    > > version in order to make supporting it for 6 years actually possible.
    > >
    > > So, are you planning on using 5.10? Will you will be willing to help
    > > out in testing the -rc releases I make to let me know if there are any
    > > problems, and to help in pointing out and backporting any specific
    > > patches that your platforms need for that kernel release?
    >
    > We(Huawei) are willing to commit resources to help out in testing the
    > stable -rc releases, and to help to backport patches for stable kernels.

    Wonderful!

    > 5.10 stable kernel will be used for openEuler [1] kernel and also inside
    > Huawei. From customer's feedback, it's very important to see the stable
    > kernel we used to be maintained for 6 years in the community, and we
    > will use 5.10 kernel for at least 6 years, so we are willing to help
    > you and help ourselves :)
    >
    > In specific, we will start from the testing work, using HULK robot
    > (reports lots of bugs to mainline kernel) testing framework to test
    > compile, reboot, functional testing, and will extend to basic
    > performance regression testing in the future.

    Great! Do you all need an email notification when the -rc releases come
    out for the stable trees, or can you trigger off of the -rc stable git
    tree? Different CI systems work in different ways :)

    And if you can reply to the -rc release emails with a "Tested-by:" tag,
    I will be glad to add that to the release commit when that happens to
    show that you all have tested the release.

    > And we will start from ARM64 and X86 architecture first, and then extend
    > to other platforms.

    That's a good start, the useful ones :)

    > For patch backporting, will send the bugfix patches (from mainline)
    > we spotted, but I think this work may not doing in regular but will
    > be triggered as needed.

    That's fine, it is not something that happens at a regular interval.

    > Does this sound good to you?

    Yes it does, thank you so much.

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2021-02-19 10:14    [W:3.785 / U:0.120 seconds]