SubjectRe: [Intel-gfx] [RFC v4 10/11] drm/dp: Extract i915's eDP backlight code into DRM helpers
On Thu, 2021-02-18 at 17:31 +0200, Ville Syrjälä wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 10:35:05AM +0200, Jani Nikula wrote:
> > On Fri, 12 Feb 2021, Lyude Paul <lyude@redhat.com> wrote:
> > > I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to just address this with a followup
> > > series
> > > instead and use the old DRM_DEBUG_* macros in the mean time.
> >
> > aux->dev is there, could also use dev_dbg et al. in the mean time. They
> > handle NULL dev gracefully too if the driver didn't set that.
>
> Last I looked aux->dev was random. Some drivers point it at the
> connector vs. some at the the pci/platform device.

That's correct-for most SoCs the AUX channel is actually a standalone platform
device that isn't associated with the DRM device by default. /But/ I went
through the tree yesterday and the day before and did a bunch of cleanup around
DP aux registration, added a drm_dev field and hooked it up in every driver with
an aux channel, and then converted all of the DP helpers (including dual mode
and MST) over to using drm_dbg_*() variants. Once I've gotten through reading
all my email for today I'm going to do a quick sanity check on it and then post
the series to dri-devel.

--
Sincerely,
Lyude Paul (she/her)

Note: I deal with a lot of emails and have a lot of bugs on my plate. If you've
asked me a question, are waiting for a review/merge on a patch, etc. and I
haven't responded in a while, please feel free to send me another email to check
on my status. I don't bite!

  Last update: 2021-02-19 22:17    [W:0.064 / U:0.168 seconds]