SubjectRe: possible stack corruption in icmp_send (__stack_chk_fail)
On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 1:12 PM Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason@zx2c4.com> wrote:

> Hi Netdev & Willem,
>
> I've received a report of stack corruption -- via the stack protector
> check -- in icmp_send. I was sent a vmcore, and was able to extract
> the OOPS from there. However, I've been unable to produce the bug and
> I don't see where it'd be in the code. That might point to a more
> sinister problem, or I'm simply just not seeing it. Apparently the
> reporter reproduces it every 40 or so minutes, and has seen it happen
> since at least ~5.10. Willem - I'm emailing you because it seems like
> you were making a lot of changes to the icmp code around then, and
> perhaps you have an intuition. For example, some of the error handling
> code takes a pointer to a stack buffer (_objh and such), and maybe
> that's problematic? I'm not quite sure. The vmcore, along with the
> various kernel binaries I hunted down are here:
> https://data.zx2c4.com/icmp_send-crash-e03b4a42-706a-43bf-bc40-1f15966b3216.tar.xz
> . The extracted dmesg follows below, in case you or anyone has a
> pointer. I've been staring at this for a while and don't see it.
>
> Jason

Sorry, I also don't immediately see a cause.

The _objh is a fairly standard approach to accessing skb data with
skb_header_pointer. More importantly, that codepath is in the icmp
receive path and then guarded by a socket option
(inet_sk(sk)->recverr_rfc4884), so unlikely to be exercised here.

This is an icmp send in response to a forwarded packet (assuming
__qdisc_run dequeued the packet that triggered it). The icmp send code
is quite robust against, e.g., undersized packets. But could it be
that the forwarded packet is not sensible IPv4? The skb->protocol is
inferred in wg_packet_consume_data_done->ip_tunnel_parse_protocol.

As for on-stack variable overflow, __ip_options_echo parses the
(untrusted) input to write into stack allocated icmp_param. But that
is fairly well tested, rarely touched, code by now. Perhaps relevant,
though, the opt passed is in skb->cb[], which at should probably not
be interpreted as inet_skb_parm (IPCB).

static inline void icmp_send(struct sk_buff *skb_in, int type, int
code, __be32 info)
{
__icmp_send(skb_in, type, code, info, &IPCB(skb_in)->opt);
}

A vmlinux image might help. I couldn't find one for this kernel.

Or if the kernel can be modified and this path is rarely taken,
logging the packet, e.g., with skb_dump.

  Last update: 2021-02-17 23:29    [W:0.063 / U:0.836 seconds]