SubjectRe: Should RCU_BOOST kernels use hrtimers in GP kthread?
On 2021-02-16 10:36:09 [-0800], Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> Hello, Sebastian,

Hi Paul,

> I punted on this for the moment by making RCU priority boosting testing
> depend on CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT, but longer term I am wondering if RCU's
> various timed delays and timeouts should use hrtimers rather than normal
> timers in kernels built with CONFIG_RCU_BOOST. As it is, RCU priority
> boosting can be defeated if any of the RCU grace-period kthread's timeouts
> are serviced by the non-realtime ksoftirqd.

I though boosting is accomplished by acquiring a rt_mutex in a
rcu_read() section. Do you have some code to point me to, to see how a
timer is involved here? Or is it the timer saying that *now* boosting is
needed.

If your hrtimer is a "normal" hrtimer then it will be served by
ksoftirqd, too. You would additionally need one of the
HRTIMER_MODE_*_HARD to make it work.

> This might require things like swait_event_idle_hrtimeout_exclusive(),
> either as primitives or just open coded.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanx, Paul

Sebastian

  Last update: 2021-02-17 16:36    [W:0.110 / U:0.256 seconds]