    SubjectRe: anonymous enums in kernel doc
    On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 7:05 PM Jonathan Corbet <corbet@lwn.net> wrote:

    > Andy Shevchenko <andy.shevchenko@gmail.com> writes:

    > >> The real problem, perhaps, is that there seems to be little point in
    > >> adding kerneldoc comments for anonymous enums; where are you going to
    > >> use that documentation?
    > >
    > > I had been explicitly told during review (IIRC by maintainers) to make
    > > it such, while the initial version was exactly like you are thinking
    > > of. So, I'm not the right person to be asked :-)

    Just for a reference [1].

    > >> The error message could perhaps be changed to
    > >> say that; meanwhile, perhaps this one could be fixed with an action like
    > >> s%/**%/*% ?
    > >
    > > See above. I think regression comes from the kernel doc script,
    > > earlier it was okay. That said, the author of kernel doc changes has
    > > to submit a patch to amend the driver and maintainers will review it.
    >
    > kerneldoc now warns about various incorrect things that it used to just
    > silently pass over. There is no regression here, just a new diagnostic
    > to point out something that was never going to work right. Unless you
    > have a good idea for what kerneldoc should do with a block like that?

    As it does, put description of individual fields and prepend it with a
    common part.

    So,

    enum - Bla bla bla
    @FOO: ABC
    @BAR: DEF
    Description

    Should go in the doc for the corresponding file like (as an example)

    Anonymous enumeration Bla bla bla
    Description

    FOO ABC
    BAR DEF

    (not sure about indentation, emphasizing and separators, but I think
    you got the idea).

    > (An alternative fix, of course, would be to give the enum a name so it
    > can actually be used for type checking.)

    That enum is not used as an enum, it provides the logically unified constants.

    Personally I don't see why the kernel doc can't digest this.

    [1]: https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/linux-gpio/patch/20190808132128.13359-1-andriy.shevchenko@linux.intel.com/

    --
    With Best Regards,
    Andy Shevchenko

      Last update: 2021-02-17 11:38    [W:2.361 / U:0.008 seconds]