SubjectLinux 5.16-rc1
It's been two weeks, and the merge window is thus closed.

I actually anticipated more problems during the merge window than we
hit - I was traveling with a laptop for a few days early on in the
merge window, and that's usually fairly painful. But - knock wood - it
all worked out fine. Partly thanks to a lot of people sending in their
pull requests fairly early, so that I could get a bit of a head start
before travels. But partly also because I didn't end up having any
"uhhuh, things aren't working and now I need to bisect where they
broke" events for me on any of my machines. At least yet.

So who knows? Maybe this will be one of those painless releases where
everything just works.

Sure.

Anyway, it's not a huge release, although it's also not a remarkably
small one like 5.15 was (ok, "remarkably small" is relative, when even
such small releases have 10k+ commits).. There's a bit of everything
in here, and you can look to the appended mergelog for some kind of
flavor, but I guess the folio work is worth mentioning, since it's an
unusually core thing that we don't tend to see most releases. The
intent is to have a more efficient and type-safe way to specify "head
of a group of pages", rather than the page pointers and
"compound_head()" and friends.

That said, the folio changes may be unusually core, but they certainly
aren't the bulk of the changes. Pretty small in the end, with the real
meat and potatoes being all the usual stuff. As always, most of the
changes are to drivers (gpu, networking, sound and staging stand out,
but it's all over) and architecture code. Hardware support is the bulk
of the code, it gets the bulk of the changes. But we obviously have
all the normal other updates, with filesystem, networking, and core
kernel code. With documentation and tooling support filling the gaps.

And somewhat unusually, our library code stands out in the diffstat,
thanks to the big update to a more recent version of upstream libzstd.

Anyway, the merge window may have gone about as smoothly as I could
hope for, but let's get the whole stabilization phase started with
some serious testing, shall we?

Please?

Linus

---

Alex Williamson (1):
VFIO updates

Alexandre Belloni (1):
RTC updates

Andreas Gruenbacher (2):
gfs2 mmap + page fault deadlocks fixes
gfs2 updates

Andrew Morton (3):
misc updates
more updates
more updates

Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo (2):
perf tools updates
more perf tools updates

Arnd Bergmann (6):
ARM SoC updates
ARM SoC DT updates
ARM SoC driver updates
ARM defconfig updates
asm-generic cleanup
ARM SoC fixes

Bartosz Golaszewski (1):
gpio updates

Benson Leung (1):
chrome platform updates

Bjorn Andersson (2):
rpmsg updates
remoteproc updates

Bjorn Helgaas (2):
pci updates
PCI fixes

Borislav Petkov (14):
EDAC updates
EFI updates
RAS updates
x86 build fix
generic confidential computing updates
x86 cleanups
x86 cpu updates
misc x86 changes
x86 SEV updates
x86 SGX updates
x86 core updates
x86 fixes
perf fixes
scheduler fixes

Bruce Fields (1):
nfsd updates

Casey Schaufler (1):
smack updates

Christian Brauner (2):
pidfd updates
prctl updates

Christoph Hellwig (1):
dma-mapping updates

Corey Minyard (1):
IPMI driver updates

Damien Le Moal (2):
libata updates
more libata updates

Dan Williams (2):
cxl updates
libnvdimm update

Daniel Thompson (1):
kgdb update

Darrick Wong (2):
xfs updates
xfs cleanups

Dave Airlie (2):
drm updates
more drm updates

David Hildenbrand (1):
virtio-mem update

David Howells (2):
AFS updates
netfs, 9p, afs and ceph (partial) foliation

David Kleikamp (1):
jfs fix

David Sterba (2):
btrfs updates
btrfs fix

Dmitry Torokhov (1):
input updates

Dominique Martinet (1):
9p updates

Eric Biederman (4):
ucount cleanups
per signal_struct coredumps
exit cleanups
vm86 fix

Eric Biggers (1):
fscrypt updates

Gao Xiang (2):
erofs updates
erofs fixes

Geert Uytterhoeven (1):
m68k updates

Greg KH (7):
USB / Thunderbolt updates
staging driver updates
char/misc driver updates
driver core updates
tty / serial driver updates
USB fixes
char/misc fix

Greg Ungerer (1):
m68knommu updates

Guenter Roeck (1):
hwmon updates

Gustavo A (2):
hardening fixes and cleanups
fallthrough fixes

Hans de Goede (1):
x86 platform driver updates

Helge Deller (3):
parisc updates
more parisc architecture fixes and updates
more parisc fixes

Herbert Xu (2):
crypto updates
crypto fix

Ilya Dryomov (1):
ceph updates

Jaegeuk Kim (1):
f2fs updates

Jakub Kicinski (2):
networking updates
networking fixes

James Bottomley (2):
SCSI updates
more SCSI updates

Jan Kara (2):
quota, isofs, and reiserfs updates
fsnotify updates

Jarkko Sakkinen (1):
tpm updates

Jason Gunthorpe (1):
rdma updates

Jassi Brar (1):
mailbox updates

Jeff Layton (1):
file locking updates

Jens Axboe (15):
block updates
block driver updates
io_uring updates
bdev size cleanups
SCSI multi-actuator support
CDROM updates
QUEUE_FLAG_SCSI_PASSTHROUGH removal
kiocb->ki_complete() cleanup
block inode sync updates
io_uring fixes
more bdev size updates
block fixes
more block driver updates
io_uring fix
block fixes

Jiri Kosina (1):
HID updates

Joerg Roedel (1):
iommu updates

John Johansen (1):
apparmor updates

Jonathan Corbet (1):
documentation updates

Juergen Gross (1):
xen updates

Julia Lawall (1):
coccinelle updates

Kees Cook (4):
thread_info update to move 'cpu' back from task_struct
compiler hardening updates
overflow updates
seccomp updates

Lee Jones (2):
MFD updates
backlight updates

Linus Walleij (1):
pin control updates

Luis Chamberlain (1):
module updates

Mark Brown (3):
regmap update
regulator updates
spi updates

Masahiro Yamada (1):
Kbuild updates

Matthew Wilcox (1):
memory folios

Mauro Carvalho Chehab (1):
media updates

Max Filippov (1):
xtensa updates

Michael Ellerman (1):
powerpc updates

Michael Tsirkin (1):
virtio updates

Michal Simek (1):
microblaze update

Miguel Ojeda (2):
compiler attributes update
auxdisplay updates

Mike Marshall (1):
orangefs fixes

Mike Snitzer (1):
device mapper updates

Miklos Szeredi (2):
fuse updates
overlayfs updates

Mimi Zohar (1):
integrity subsystem updates

Miquel Raynal (1):
mtd updates

Namjae Jeon (1):
exfat fix

Nick Terrell (1):
zstd update

Palmer Dabbelt (1):
RISC-V updates

Paolo Bonzini (2):
KVM updates
more kvm updates

Paul McKenney (2):
RCU updates
KCSAN updates

Paul Moore (3):
selinux updates
audit updates
selinux fixes

Pavel Machek (1):
LED updates

Petr Mladek (1):
printk updates

Rafael Wysocki (7):
ACPI updates
power management updates
thermal control updates
PNP update
more ACPI updates
more power management updates
more thermal control updates

Rich Felker (1):
arch/sh updates

Rob Herring (2):
devicetree updates
devicetree fixes

Russell King (2):
ARM updates
ARM fixes

Sebastian Reichel (2):
power supply and reset updates
HSI update

Shuah Khan (2):
Kselftest updates
KUnit updates

Stafford Horne (1):
OpenRISC updates

Stephen Boyd (2):
clk updates
more clk updates

Steve French (3):
cifs updates
ksmbd updates
more cifs updates

Steven Rostedt (4):
tracing updates
more tracing updates
tracing fixes
tracing fixes

Takashi Iwai (2):
sound updates
sound fixes

Ted Ts'o (1):
ext4 updates

Tejun Heo (2):
workqueue updates
cgroup updates

Thierry Reding (1):
pwm updates

Thomas Bogendoerfer (2):
MIPS updates
more MIPS updates

Thomas Gleixner (11):
irq updates
perf updates
locking updates
objtool updates
timer updates
scheduler updates
x86/apic update
x86 fpu updates
x86 static call update
irq fixes
timer fix

Trond Myklebust (1):
NFS client updates

Ulf Hansson (1):
MMC and MEMSTICK updates

Vasily Gorbik (2):
s390 updates
more s390 updates

Vinod Koul (1):
dmaengine updates

Wei Liu (1):
hyperv updates

Will Deacon (2):
arm64 updates
arm64 fixes

Wim Van Sebroeck (1):
watchdog updates

Wolfram Sang (2):
i2c fix
i2c updates

  Last update: 2021-11-14 23:29    [W:0.127 / U:0.384 seconds]