SubjectRe: [RFC 0/7] Support in-kernel DMA with PASID and SVA
On Tue, Oct 5, 2021 at 7:21 AM Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@nvidia.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 04, 2021 at 09:40:03AM -0700, Jacob Pan wrote:
> > Hi Barry,

> > > yes. This is an important question. if users want a high security level,
> > > kva might not their choice; if users don't want the security, they are
> > > using iommu passthrough. So when will users choose KVA?
> > Right, KVAs sit in the middle in terms of performance and security.
> > Performance is better than IOVA due to IOTLB flush as you mentioned. Also
> > not too far behind of pass-through.
>
> The IOTLB flush is not on a DMA path but on a vmap path, so it is very
> hard to compare the two things.. Maybe vmap can be made to do lazy
> IOTLB flush or something and it could be closer
>
> > Security-wise, KVA respects kernel mapping. So permissions are better
> > enforced than pass-through and identity mapping.
>
> Is this meaningful? Isn't the entire physical map still in the KVA and
> isn't it entirely RW ?

Some areas are RX, for example, ARCH64 supports KERNEL_TEXT_RDONLY.
But the difference is really minor.

So do we have a case where devices can directly access the kernel's data
structure such as a list/graph/tree with pointers to a kernel virtual address?
then devices don't need to translate the address of pointers in a structure.
I assume this is one of the most useful features userspace SVA can provide.

But do we have a case where accelerators/GPU want to use the complex data
structures of kernel drivers?

> Jason

Thanks
barry

  Last update: 2021-10-07 07:44    [W:0.100 / U:0.368 seconds]