SubjectRe: [RFC] drm/msm/dp: Allow attaching a drm_panel
On Mon 04 Oct 20:50 CDT 2021, Stephen Boyd wrote:

> Quoting Bjorn Andersson (2021-10-04 18:11:11)
> > On Mon 04 Oct 17:36 PDT 2021, Doug Anderson wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,

> > > I'm confused, but maybe it would help if I could see something
> > > concrete. Is there a specific board this was happening on?
> > >

> > Right, let's make this more concrete with a snippet from the actual
> > SC8180x DT.
>
> Where is this DT? Is it in the kernel tree?

Still missing a bunch of driver pieces, so I haven't yet pushed any of
this upstream.

But if you're interested you can find some work-in-progress here:
https://github.com/andersson/kernel/commits/wip/sc8180x-next-20210819

> [...]
> > port@0 {
> > reg = <0>;
> > ucsi_port_0_dp: endpoint {
> > remote-endpoint = <&dp0_mode>;
> > };
> > };
> >
> > port@1 {
> > reg = <1>;
> > ucsi_port_0_switch: endpoint {
> > remote-endpoint = <&primary_qmp_phy>;
> > };
> > };
> > };
> > };
> >
> > connector@1 {
> > ports {
> > port@0 {
> > reg = <0>;
> > ucsi_port_1_dp: endpoint {
> > remote-endpoint = <&dp1_mode>;
> > };
> > };
> >
> > port@1 {
> > reg = <1>;
> > ucsi_port_1_switch: endpoint {
> > remote-endpoint = <&second_qmp_phy>;
> > };
> > };
> > };
> > };
> > };
> >
> > /* And then our 2 DP and single eDP controllers */
> > &mdss_dp0 {
> > ports {
> > port@1 {
> > reg = <1>;
> > dp0_mode: endpoint {
> > remote-endpoint = <&ucsi_port_0_dp>;
> > };
> > };
> > };
> > };
> >
> > &mdss_dp1 {
> > ports {
> > port@1 {
> > reg = <1>;
> > dp1_mode: endpoint {
> > remote-endpoint = <&ucsi_port_1_dp>;
> > };
> > };
> > };
> > };
> >
> > &mdss_edp {
> > ports {
> > port@1 {
> > reg = <1>;
> > mdss_edp_out: endpoint {
> > remote-endpoint = <&auo_b133han05_in>;
> > };
> > };
> > };
> > };
> >
> > > If you have "port@1" pointing to a USB-C controller but this instance
> > > of the DP controller is actually hooked up straight to a panel then
> > > you should simply delete the "port@1" that points to the typeC and
> > > replace it with one that points to a panel, right?
> > >

> > As you can see, port 1 on &mdss_dp0 and &mdss_dp1 points to the two UCSI
> > connectors and the eDP points to the panel, exactly like we agreed.
> >
> > So now I call:
> > drm_of_find_panel_or_bridge(dev->of_node, 1, 0, &panel, NULL);
> >
> > which for the two DP nodes will pass respective UCSI connector to
> > drm_find_panel() and get EPROBE_DEFER back - because they are not on

Well, it's expected that the connectors aren't panels...

> > There's nothing indicating in the of_graph that the USB connectors
> > aren't panels (or bridges), so I don't see a way to distinguish the two
> > types remotes.
> >

> I'd like to create a bridge, not panel, for USB connectors, so that we
> can push sideband HPD signaling through to the DP driver. But either way
> this should work, right? If drm_of_find_panel_or_bridge() returns
> -EPROBE_DEFER, then assume the connector is DP. Otherwise if there's a
> valid pointer then treat it as eDP. We can't go too crazy though because
> once we attach a bridge we're assuming eDP which may not actually be
> true.

How will I be able to distinguish this from "the eDP panel is not yet
probed"? Unless we first implement the rest of this suggestion to make
sure drm_of_find_panel_or_bridge() has something to find in both cases.

> If we make a bridge for type-C USB connectors then we'll be able to use
> the drm_bridge_connector code to automatically figure out the connector
> type (eDP vs. DP vs. whatever else is chained onto the end of the DP
> connector). That would require updating the bridge connector code to
> treat DP as a connector type though. And then the eDP path would need to
> be handled when there's no bridge really involved, like in your case
> where the eDP hardware is directly connected to the eDP panel.
>
> In this case I think we're supposed to make a bridge in this DP driver
> itself that does pretty basic stuff and assumes the connector is eDP or
> DP based on the hardware type it is. Then if we wire a type-c connector
> up to the eDP hardware the eDP bridge we make in this driver will see a
> type-c connector that makes a bridge saying "I'm a DP connector" and the
> drm_bridge_connector code will look at the last bridge in the chain to
> see that it's actually a DP connector.

This is rather far from how I do handle USB, and its HPD interrupts
today. But perhaps I'm missing something there...

Let me get that patch on the list as well then.

Regards,
Bjorn

  Last update: 2021-10-05 04:13    [W:0.193 / U:0.020 seconds]