SubjectRE: [Patch v5 0/3] Introduce a driver to support host accelerated access to Microsoft Azure Blob for Azure VM
Date
> Subject: Re: [Patch v5 0/3] Introduce a driver to support host accelerated access
> to Microsoft Azure Blob for Azure VM
>
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 05:46:48PM +0000, Long Li wrote:
> > > Subject: Re: [Patch v5 0/3] Introduce a driver to support host
> > > accelerated access to Microsoft Azure Blob for Azure VM

> > > As far as I understand, the purpose of the driver is to replace a "slow"
> > > network connection to API endpoint with a "fast" transport over
> > > Vmbus. So what if instead of implementing this new driver we just
> > > use Hyper-V Vsock and move API endpoint to the host?
> >
> > Hi Vitaly,
> >
> > We looked at Hyper-V Vsock when designing this driver. The problem is that
> the Hyper-V device model of Vsock can't support the data throughput and scale
> needed for Blobs. Vsock is mostly used for management tasks.
> >
> > The usage of Blob in Azure justifies an dedicated VMBUS channel (and sub-
> channels) for a new VSP/VSC driver.
>
> Why not just fix the vsock code to handle data better? That way all users of it
> would benefit.

Hi Greg,

The Vsock is connection based. On both Guest and Host, the model is around a connection over a socket. Internally, the Hyper-V creates a device for each connection. But it doesn't scale to large number of CPUs over a socket connection. Hyper-V vsock is designed to perform configuration management for a VM running on Hyper-V.

The Azure Blob service is not connection based. It doesn't fit into the device model presented by Vsock from Hyper-V.

Thanks,

Long

> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

  Last update: 2021-10-11 21:39    [W:0.705 / U:0.028 seconds]