SubjectRe: Possible regression in cpuacct.stats system time
On 04/01/21 22:24, Nitesh Narayan Lal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Last year I reported an issue of "suspicious RCU usage" [1] with the debug
> kernel which was fixed with the patch:
>
>     87fa7f3e98 "x86/kvm: Move context tracking where it belongs"
>
> Recently I have come across a possible regression because of this
> patch in the cpuacct.stats system time.
>
> With the latest upstream kernel (5.11-rc2) when we set up a VM and start
> observing the system time value from cpuacct.stat then it is significantly
> higher than value reported with the kernel that doesn't have the
> previously mentioned patch.
>
> FWIU the reason behind this increase is the moving of guest_exit_irqoff()
> to its proper location (near vmexit). This leads to the accounting
> of instructions that were previously accounted into the guest context as a
> part of the system time.
>
> IMO this should be an expected behavior after the previously mentioned
> change. Is that a right conclusion or I am missing something here?

Yes it's expected and I think it's more precise, since this is host
overhead rather than guest operation .

> Another question that I have is about the patch
>
>     d7a08882a0 "KVM: x86: Unconditionally enable irqs in guest context"
>
> considering we are enabling irqs early now in the code path, do we still
> need this patch?

No, we don't. Since the code is a bit simpler without it, feel free to
send a revert.

Thanks,

Paolo

> [1] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/ece36eb1-253a-8ec6-c183-309c10bb35d5@redhat.com/
>
> --
> Thanks
> Nitesh

  Last update: 2021-01-05 08:29    [W:0.368 / U:0.132 seconds]