SubjectRe: 5.9.11 still hanging 2mn at each boot and looping on nvidia-gpu 0000:01:00.3: PME# enabled (Quadro RTX 4000 Mobile)
Hi Marc, I appreciate your persistence on this.  I am frankly
surprised that you've put up with this so long.

On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 03:12:09AM -0800, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> This started with 5.5 and hasn't gotten better since then, despite
> some reports I tried to send.
>
> As per my previous message:
> I have a Thinkpad P70 with hybrid graphics.
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107GLM [Quadro M600M] (rev a2)
> that one works fine, I can use i915 for the main screen, and nouveau to
> display on the external ports (external ports are only wired to nvidia
> chip, so it's impossible to use them without turning the nvidia chip
> on).
>
> I now got a newer P73 also with the same hybrid graphics (setup as such
> in the bios). It runs fine with i915, and I don't need to use external
> display with nouveau for now (it almost works, but I only see the mouse
> cursor on the external screen, no window or anything else can get
> displayed, very weird).
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU104GLM [Quadro RTX 4000 Mobile / Max-Q] (rev a1)
>

> after boot, when it gets the right trigger (not sure which ones), it
> loops on this evern 2 seconds, mostly forever.
>
> I'm not sure if it's nouveau's fault or the kernel's PCI PME's fault, or something else.

IIUC there are basically two problems:

1) A 2 minute delay during boot
2) Some sort of event every 2 seconds that kills your battery life

Your machine doesn't sound unusual, and I haven't seen a flood of
similar reports, so maybe there's something unusual about your config.
But I really don't have any guesses for either one.

It sounds like v5.5 worked fine and you first noticed the slow boot
problem in v5.8. We *could* try to bisect it, but I know that's a lot
of work on your part.

Grasping for any ideas for the boot delay; could you boot with
"initcall_debug" and collect your "lsmod" output? I notice async_tx
in some of your logs, but I have no idea what it is. It's from
crypto, so possibly somewhat unusual?

Bjorn

  Last update: 2021-01-27 22:45    [W:0.175 / U:0.388 seconds]