SubjectRe: Old platforms: bring out your dead
Hi Rob,

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 8:58 AM Rob Landley <rob@landley.net> wrote:
> On 1/12/21 4:46 PM, Linus Walleij wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 3:45 PM John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
> > <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> >> Yeah, I have the same impression that's the strong commercial interest pushes
> >> hobbyist use of the Linux kernel a bit down. A lot of these changes feel like
> >> they're motivated by corporate decisions.
> >>
> >> There has to be a healthy balance between hobbyist and commercial use. I understand
> >> that from a commercial point of view, it doesn't make much sense to run Linux
> >> on a 30-year-old computer. But it's a hobbyist project for many people and hacking
> >> Linux stuff for these old machines has a very entertaining and educational factor.
> >
> > This is actually one of the most interesting things written in this discussion.
> >
> > I have both revamped and deleted subarchitectures in the ARM tree. We
> > never deleted anyone's pet project *unless* they were clearly unwilling to
> > work on it (such as simply testning new patches) and agreed that it will
> > not go on.
>
> Another fun aspect of old hardware is it serves as prior art for patents. The
> j-core hardware implementation schedule has in part been driven by specific
> patents expiring, as in "we can't do $FEATURE until $DATE".

Indeed, so that's why the release of j4 is postponed to 2016...
/me runs date (again).

> When I did an sh4 porting contract in 2018 I got that board updated to a
> current-ish kernel (3 versions back from then-current it hit some intermittent
> nor flash filesystem corruption that only occurred intermittently under
> sustained load; had to ship so I backed off one version and never tracked it
> down). But these days I'm not always on the same continent as my two actual sh4
> hardware boards, have never gotten my physical sh2 board to boot, and $DAYJOB is
> all j-core stuff not sh4.

Which is not upstream, investing in the future?

> Testing that a basic superh system still builds and boots under qemu and j-core
> I can commit to doing regularly. Testing specific hardware devices on boards I
> don't regularly use is a lot harder.

I have the sh7751-based landisk in my board farm, so it's receiving
regular boot testing. That's one of the simpler SH-based platforms,
though.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds

  Last update: 2021-01-13 09:23    [W:0.214 / U:0.488 seconds]