SubjectRe: [RFC 2/2] clk: vc5: Add support for optional load capacitance
Hi Adam,

On 11/01/21 17:40, Adam Ford wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> The reason I did that was because if someone does a git log on the
>>> individual file, they'd see the comment. While it's redundant not, it
>>> might not be as obvious in the future when looking back. Not
>>> everyone reviews the history of the binding, but the source files' git
>>> logs usually have some value. However, if you want me to drop it or
>>> rephrase it, I can do that.
>>
>> Makes sense, I had never considered that before.

>>> I was confused too since the datasheet and programmers manual differ a bit.

>>> I used the Versaclock 6E doc which is based on the following:
>>>
>>> BIT 5 - Add 6.92pF
>>> BIT 4 - Add 3.46pF
>>> BIT 3 - Add 1.73pF
>>> BIT 2 - Add 0.86pF
>>> Bit 1 - Add 0.43pF
>>> Bit 0 - Add 0.43pF
>>>
>>> Because the Datasheet starts at 9pF, the math I used, assumes these
>>> numbers are added to 9pF.
>>> Because the datasheet shows the increments are in .5pF increments, the
>>> 430nF seems close. The datasheet shows 9pF - 25pF and based on the
>>> programmer table, we could get close to 25pF by enabling all bits and
>>> adding 9pF, however the math doesn't quite hit 25pF.
>>>
>>> For what it's worth I needed around 11.5pF, and with this patch, the
>>> hardware engineer said our ppm went from around 70 ppm to around 4ppm.
>>
>> Did he measure what happens if you set the register according to the 0.5
>> pF interpretation? Does it improve? I understand the difference is
>> probably olwer than the noise, but who knows.

>>> I agree. It would be nice to get some clarification from Renesas.
>>
>> Definitely. Do you have access to some support from them?
>
> Luca,
>
> We reached out to Renesas with the following questions:
>
> 1)
> I'm seeing a discrepancy between the datasheet and programming guide
> we have for the Versaclock 6e in regard to the crystal load
> programming registers. The datasheet for the 5P49V6965A000NLGI
> indicates a 9pF minimum with 0.5pF steps, while the programming guide
> says that the lower two register bits both add 0.43pF, which would
> make the equation:
>
> Ci = 9pF + 0.43pF * XTAL[5:1] instead of
> Ci = 9pF + 0.5pF * XTAL[5:0] as is published in the datasheet.
>
> 2) The programming guide shows that the default setting is 01b, but
> the note says it's reserved, use D1 D0 = 00. Can you confirm that we
> should set switch mode to 00 instead of the default 01?
>
> And we got the following answers:
>
> 1)
> The first one with 0.43pF steps is the correct one. Ci = 9pF +
> 0.43pF * XTAL[5:1]
> 0.5pF steps was the design target. When measuring actual
> silicon, we found 0.43pF steps.
>
> There are 6 bits reserved for the CL setting but bits 0 and 1
> have the same 0.43pF step. So it is actually 5 bits with an extra LSB
> of 0.43pF.
>
> 2)
> Please use D1 D0 = 01. The “00” is a typo…..

Great thing you got all those info from Renesas!

> Based on the above response I think we should always assume XTAL bit 0
> is 0, and only use XTAL[5:1] which should make the math go easier,
> because the desired value in femtofarads would just be offset by 9000
> and divided by 430 and that value would be shifted 3 places instead fo
> two, and the fixed-point math calculation can go away.
>
> In addition to that, I would also need to make sure that D0 is set to
> 1, so instead of just writing the shifted XTAL value, I would also
> have to do a logic OR with 1 to set the low bit.
>
> I talked with the hardware guys from work who also suggested that we
> always write the same value to X1 and X2, so I can remove the X1 and
> X2 references from the bindings.
>
> Does that work for you?

Yes.

We are only losing the ability to set 9 + (0.43 * 32) pF using all bits.
I'm OK with that. Should it be needed in the future we can just add it
as a special case, maybe just add a comment saying that, like "XTAL[5:0]
= b111111 not supported".

--
Luca

  Last update: 2021-01-12 17:46    [W:1.302 / U:0.032 seconds]