SubjectRe: [RFC 2/2] printk: Add more information about the printk caller
On (20/09/23 15:56), Petr Mladek wrote:
> The information about the printk caller has been added by the commit
> 15ff2069cb7f967da ("printk: Add caller information to printk() output.").
> The main motivation was to reconstruct original messages when they
> longer output from different CPUs got mixed.
>
> But there are more usecases. The number of CPUs and tasks running on
> a single system is growing. It brings bigger challenges when debugging
> problems. The context in which kernel reports its state is sometimes
> pretty useful.
>
> In particular, people suggest to remember the task id, cpu id, more details
> about the interrupt context, and even the task name [0][1].
>
> Prepare for extending the caller information by replacing caller_id
> with struct printk_caller. And always store task id, cpu id, and
> exact interrupt context.

Wild idea:

Currently, we have two sides to the problem, I think. There are tasks
that store messages, but then there are tasks that print those messages
on the consoles. And those tasks and contexts are not always the same.
What I found helpful in the past was not only the caller_id, but the
emitter_id (especially preemption count and irqs state of the context
that prints messages on the slow consoles).

-ss

  Last update: 2020-09-24 03:41    [W:0.181 / U:0.264 seconds]