SubjectRe: Trying to run mptcp on my machine

On Mon, 31 Aug 2020, Eric Curtin wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I've been trying to get mptcp up and running on my machine (xubuntu
> 20.04) with little joy. What I did was install 5,8,5 kernel from here:
>
> https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v5.8.5/amd64/
>
> Reboot, tried a curl:
>
> curl http://www.multipath-tcp.org
> Nay, Nay, Nay, your have an old computer that does not speak MPTCP.
> Shame on you!
>
> Checked this flag:
>
> sudo cat /proc/sys/net/mptcp/enabled
> 1
>
> Even tried to run this guy in the kernel repo with no joy
> mptcp_connect.sh. Any pointers to get mptcp running? I couldn't find
> too much documentation on how to configure it on GNU/Linux.

Hi Eric -

I think one helpful guide for you would be this recent post by Davide
(dcaratti@redhat.com on the cc list):

https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2020/08/19/multipath-tcp-on-red-hat-enterprise-linux-8-3-from-0-to-1-subflows/

With curl, what you're seeing is that existing programs do continue to use
regular TCP. The blog post has a section on one approach to making
unmodified programs open sockets with IPPROTO_MPTCP.