SubjectRe: [RFC] Design proposal for upstream core-scheduling interface
On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 4:32 AM Vineeth Pillai <vineethrp@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Let me know your thoughts and looking forward to a good LPC MC discussion!
> >

> Nice write up Joel, thanks for taking time to compile this with great detail!
>
> After going through the details of interface proposal using cgroup v2
> controllers,
> and based on our discussion offline, would like to note down this idea
> about a new
> pseudo filesystem interface for core scheduling. We could include
> this also for the
> API discussion during core scheduler MC.
>
> coreschedfs: pseudo filesystem interface for Core Scheduling
>
> The basic requirement of core scheduling is simple - we need to group a set
> of tasks into a trust group that can share a core. So we don’t really
> need a nested
> hierarchy for the trust groups. Cgroups v2 follow a unified nested
> hierarchy model
> that causes a considerable confusion if the trusted tasks are in
> different levels of the
> hierarchy and we need to allow them to share the core. Cgroup v2's
> single hierarchy
> model makes it difficult to regroup tasks in different levels of
> nesting for core scheduling.
> As noted in this mail, we could use multi-file approach and other
> interfaces like prctl to
> overcome this limitation.
>
> The idea proposed here to overcome the above limitation is to come up with a new
> pseudo filesystem - “coreschedfs”. This filesystem is basically a flat
> filesystem with
> maximum nesting level of 1. That means, root directory can have
> sub-directories for
> sub-groups, but those sub-directories cannot have more sub-directories
> representing
> trust groups. Root directory is to represent the system wide trust
> group and sub-directories
> represent trusted groups. Each directory including the root directory
> has the following set
> of files/directories:
>
> - cookie_id: User exposed id for a cookie. This can be compared to a
> file descriptor.
> This could be used in programmatic API to join/leave a group
>
> - properties: This is an interface to specify how child tasks of this
> group should behave.
> Can be used for specifying future flag requirements as well.
> Current list of properties include:
> NEW_COOKIE_FOR_CHILD: All fork() for tasks in this group
> will result in
> creation of a new trust group
> SAME_COOKIE_FOR_CHILD: All fork() for tasks in this
> group will end up in
> this same group
> ROOT_COOKIE_FOR_CHILD: All fork() for tasks in this
> group goes to the root group
>
> - tasks: Lists the tasks in this group. Main interface for adding
> removing tasks in a group
>
> - <pid>: A directory per task who is am member of this trust group.
> - <pid>/properties: This file is same as the parent properties file
> [...]

I am inclined to say no to this. Yet another FS interface :-(. We are
just reinventing the wheel here. Let's try to stick within cgroupfs
first and see if we can make it work there.

Dhaval

  Last update: 2020-08-24 22:32    [W:0.855 / U:0.084 seconds]