SubjectRe: Kernel panic - not syncing: IO-APIC + timer doesn't work!
On 7/29/20 4:50 AM, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> Scott,
>
> Scott Branden <scott.branden@broadcom.com> writes:

>>> Yes, emphasis on should. Just to clarify, if you reboot it works and
>>> cold start works as well if power was off long enough?
>>>
>> So far I have only been able to reproduce the issue by cold start with power off for only a few seconds
>> before re-powering the system.  It has not failed via reboot yet that I remember.
>> Will have to keep my eye on whether using reboot is an issue or not.
>> And also keeping power off longer when doing a cold start.
>
> Weird.
>
>> Please find attached the failed console log with ignore_loglevel.
>
> Aside of the differences caused by the BIOS update there is nothing
> related to the APIC/IO-APIC setup which is different between the working
> and failing boot.
>
> TBH, I have no idea what's going wrong there. Maybe Tom has one.

I asked around and was told this is most likely the motherboard has not
decayed its DC rails. So it's quite possible that keeping it powered off
for a longer period of time before powering back on may help.

Thanks,
Tom

> Thanks,
>
> tglx

  Last update: 2020-07-29 20:30    [W:0.054 / U:0.080 seconds]