SubjectRe: Kernel panic - not syncing: IO-APIC + timer doesn't work!
Hi Tom,

On 2020-07-29 11:29 a.m., Tom Lendacky wrote:
> On 7/29/20 4:50 AM, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
>> Scott,
>>
>> Scott Branden <scott.branden@broadcom.com> writes:

>>> So far I have only been able to reproduce the issue by cold start with power off for only a few seconds
>>> before re-powering the system.  It has not failed via reboot yet that I remember.
>>> Will have to keep my eye on whether using reboot is an issue or not.
>>> And also keeping power off longer when doing a cold start.
>> Weird.
>>
>>> Please find attached the failed console log with ignore_loglevel.
>> Aside of the differences caused by the BIOS update there is nothing
>> related to the APIC/IO-APIC setup which is different between the working
>> and failing boot.
>>
>> TBH, I have no idea what's going wrong there. Maybe Tom has one.
> I asked around and was told this is most likely the motherboard has not
> decayed its DC rails. So it's quite possible that keeping it powered off
> for a longer period of time before powering back on may help.
It does appear that the APIC hardware or some other component does not reset
something and assumes the power up value is 0.

Too bad proper voltage monitoring/full reset is not in place.

I was just reporting the issue as instructed by the kernel panic.
I think the issue is avoided by leaving the system powered off longer.

> Thanks,
> Tom
>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> tglx

  Last update: 2020-07-30 01:29    [W:0.111 / U:0.160 seconds]