SubjectRe: checkpatch: support deprecated terms checking
Date
On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 13:49:00 -0700 Joe Perches <joe@perches.com> wrote:

> > I don't think I really agree with the "new code only" guideline (where
> > did this come from, anyway?). 10 years from now any remaining pre-2020
> > terms will look exceedingly archaic and will get converted at some
> > point.
> >
> > Wouldn't be longterm realistic to just bite the bullet now and add these
> > conversions to the various todo lists?
>
> I don't think so.
>
> There's no exclusion list for existing uses
> written to external specification.
>
> It's just emitting effectively noisy warnings
> on things that should not be changed.

Just noticed that this patchset and the followup[1] for sync with inclusive
terms commit[2] are dropped from -mm tree. I admit it could generate some
false positive warnings, though my followup patch[3] makes the message noisy
but gives clear references.

I still believe it's better to provide the messages, but I also know people
could think differently. After all, the biggest part of the initial goal of
this patches is already made by the inclusive terms commit[2]. So, I would
respect the decision.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20200713071912.24432-1-sjpark@amazon.com/
[2] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/Documentation/process/coding-style.rst?id=a5f526ecb075a08c4a082355020166c7fe13ae27
[3] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20200726180748.29924-1-sj38.park@gmail.com/

Thanks,
SeongJae Park

  Last update: 2020-07-28 08:23    [W:0.060 / U:0.132 seconds]