SubjectRe: [Patch] mm: Increase pagevec size on large system
On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 09:57:42 -0700 Tim Chen <tim.c.chen@linux.intel.com> wrote:

> I am okay with Matthew's suggestion of keeping the stack pagevec size unchanged.
> Andrew, do you have a preference?
>
> I was assuming that for people who really care about saving the kernel memory
> usage, they would make CONFIG_NR_CPUS small. I also have a hard time coming
> up with a better scheme.
>
> Otherwise, we will have to adjust the pagevec size when we actually
> found out how many CPUs we have brought online. It seems like a lot
> of added complexity for going that route.

Even if we were to do this, the worst-case stack usage on the largest
systems might be an issue. If it isn't then we might as well hard-wire
it to 31 elements anyway,

I dunno. An extra 128 bytes of stack doesn't sound toooo bad, and the
performance benefit is significant. Perhaps we just go with the
original patch. If there are any on-stack pagevecs in the page reclaim
path then perhaps we could create a new mini-pagevec for just those. or
look at simply removing the pagevec optimization in there altogether.

  Last update: 2020-07-01 02:28    [W:0.782 / U:0.028 seconds]