SubjectRe: DMA Engine: Transfer From Userspace

> On 25 June 2020 at 02:42 Dave Jiang <dave.jiang@intel.com> wrote:
>

> On 6/21/2020 12:24 AM, Vinod Koul wrote:

> >> I may have supposedly promised Vinod to look into possibly providing
> >> something like this in the future. But I have not gotten around to do that
> >> yet. Currently, no such support.
> >
> > And I do still have serious reservations about this topic :) Opening up
> > userspace access to DMA does not sound very great from security point of
> > view.
>
> What about doing it with DMA engine that supports PASID? That way the user can
> really only trash its own address space and kernel is protected.

Sounds interesting! Not sure if this is really needed in that case...
I have already implemented checks of vm_area_struct for contiguous memory or even do a get_user_pages_fast for user memory to pin it (hope that is the correct term here). Of course i have to do that for every involved page.
But i will do some checks if my code is really suitable to avoid misusage.

Best regards,
Thomas

  Last update: 2020-06-25 10:12    [W:2.083 / U:0.088 seconds]