SubjectRe: [sched/fair] 0b0695f2b3: phoronix-test-suite.compress-gzip.0.seconds 19.8% regression
On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 07:26:01PM +0200, Vincent Guittot wrote:
> On Mon, 25 May 2020 at 10:02, Vincent Guittot
> <vincent.guittot@linaro.org> wrote:

> > > Hi Vincent, which OS are you using? We found the regression on Clear OS,
> > > but it cannot reproduce on Debian.
> > > On https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=mac-win-linux2018&num=5
> > > it was mentioned that -
> > > Gzip compression is much faster out-of-the-box on Clear Linux due to it exploiting
> > > multi-threading capabilities compared to the other operating systems Gzip support.
> >
> > I'm using Debian, I haven't noticed it was only on Clear OS.
> > I'm going to look at it. Could you send me traces in the meantime ?
>
> I run more tests to understand the problem. Even if Clear Linux uses
> multithreading, the system is not overloaded and there is a
> significant amount of idle time. This means that we use the has_spare
> capacity path that spreads tasks on the system. At least that is what
> I have seen in the KVM image. Beside this, I think that I have been
> able to reproduce the problem on my platform with debian using pigz
> instead of gzip for the compress-gzip-1.2.0 test. On my platform, I
> can see a difference when I enable all CPU idle states whereas there
> is no performance difference when only the shallowest idle state is
> enabled.
>
> The new load balance rework is more efficient at spreading tasks on
> the system and one side effect could be that there is more idle time
> between tasks wake up on each CPU. As a result, CPUs have to wake up
> from a deeper idle state. This could explain the +54% increase of C6
> usage that is reported. Is it possible to get All C-state statistics
> ?

Hi Vincent, sorry for late. I selected the turbostat while running
compress-gzip on Clear OS, as attached. Besides v5.4 and v5.7-rc7,
I got the data for v5.5 and v5.7, too. Not sure it's enough since you
said "All C-state statistics". Hope it could be useful and if you want
more data, please let us know.

Again, I collect these data on our "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
with 8G memory" platform. for each release, I ran test twice to assure
the results consistent.

phoronix-test-suite.compress-gzip.0.seconds
release run1 run2
v5.4 4.37 4.37
v5.5 5.37 5.46
v5.7-rc7 4.82 4.85
v5.7 4.86 4.83

> Could you run the test after disabling deep idle states like C6 and
> above and check what is the difference between v5.7-rc7 and v5.4 ?

thanks for suggestion, will collect this data later.

> comparing fcf0553db6 ("sched/fair: Remove meaningless imbalance
> calculation") and
> 0b0695f2b3 ("sched/fair: Rework load_balance()") is not really
> useful because they are part of the same rework and should be
> considered a one single change.

[unhandled content-type:application/x-gtar-compressed]

  Last update: 2020-06-02 07:12    [W:0.354 / U:0.240 seconds]