SubjectRe: proc/fd: Remove the initialization of variables in seq_show()
>>> The variables{files, file} will definitely be assigned,
>>
>> I find an other specification nicer for these identifiers.
>>

>>> so we don't need to initialize them.

> We don't need to initialize the variable “file”.

I can agree to this interpretation of the software situation
because there is a precondition involved for the variable “ret”.
https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.7-rc7/source/fs/proc/fd.c#L20
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/fs/proc/fd.c?id=b0c3ba31be3e45a130e13b278cf3b90f69bda6f6#n20

> I don't find the programming concerns around the handling of the null
> pointer for the variable “file”.

I find the initial change description too terse and therefore incomplete.

> If you have other suggestions, please elaborate on the details.

I propose to extend the patch.
How do you think about to convert initialisations for the variables
“f_flags” and “ret” also into later assignments?

Regards,
Markus

  Last update: 2020-05-28 18:05    [W:0.042 / U:1.832 seconds]