SubjectRe: [RFC RESEND 0/3] Introduce cpufreq minimum load QoS
Date

On 5/27/20 2:14 PM, Valentin Schneider wrote:
> On 27/05/20 12:17, Benjamin GAIGNARD wrote:
>> On 5/27/20 12:09 PM, Valentin Schneider wrote:
>>> Hi Benjamin,

>>> Apologies for sleeping on that previous thread.
>>>
>>> So what had been suggested over there was to use uclamp to boost the
>>> frequency of the handling thread; however if you use threaded IRQs you
>>> get RT threads, which already get the max frequency by default (at least
>>> with schedutil).
>>>
>>> Does that not work for you, and if so, why?
>> That doesn't work because almost everything is done by the hardware blocks
>> without charge the CPU so the thread isn't running.
> I'm not sure I follow; the frequency of the CPU doesn't matter while
> your hardware blocks are spinning, right? AIUI what matters is running
> your interrupt handler / action at max freq, which you get if you use
> threaded IRQs and schedutil.
Yes but not limited to schedutil.
Given the latency needed to change of frequencies I think it could
already too late
to change the CPU frequency when handling the threaded interrupt.

> I think it would help if you could clarify which tasks / parts of your
> pipeline you need running at high frequencies. The point is that setting
> a QoS request affects all tasks, whereas we could be smarter and only
> boost the required tasks.
What make us drop frames is that the threaded IRQ is scheduled too late.
The not thread part of the interrupt handler where we clear the
interrupt flags
is going fine but the thread part not.

>> I have done the
>> tests with schedutil
>> and ondemand scheduler (which is the one I'm targeting). I have no
>> issues when using
>> performance scheduler because it always keep the highest frequencies.

  Last update: 2020-05-27 15:13    [W:0.073 / U:0.292 seconds]