    SubjectRe: [RFC 04/11] net: phy: Handle c22 regs presence better
    > Yes, we know even for the NXP reference hardware, one of the phy's doesn't
    > probe out correctly because it doesn't respond to the ieee defined
    > registers. I think at this point, there really isn't anything we can do
    > about that unless we involve the (ACPI) firmware in currently nonstandard
    > behaviors.
    >
    > So, my goals here have been to first, not break anything, and then do a
    > slightly better job finding phy's that are (mostly?) responding correctly to
    > the 802.3 spec. So we can say "if you hardware is ACPI conformant, and you
    > have IEEE conformant phy's you should be ok". So, for your example phy, I
    > guess the immediate answer is "use DT" or "find a conformant phy", or even
    > "abstract it in the firmware and use a mailbox interface".

    Hi Jeremy

    You need to be careful here, when you say "use DT". With a c45 PHY
    of_mdiobus_register_phy() calls get_phy_device() to see if the device
    exists on the bus. So your changes to get_phy_device() etc, needs to
    continue to find devices it used to find, even if they are not fully
    complient to 802.3.

    Andrew

      Last update: 2020-05-26 00:07    [W:6.092 / U:0.112 seconds]