SubjectRe: kernel BUG at mm/hugetlb.c:LINE!
On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 2:35 AM Mike Kravetz <mike.kravetz@oracle.com> wrote:

> > Is there any actual valid use case for mounting an overlayfs on top of hugetlbfs? I can't think of one. Why isn't the response to this to instead only allow mounting overlayfs on top of basically a set of whitelisted filesystems?
> >

> I can not think of a use case. I'll let Miklos comment on adding whitelist
> capability to overlayfs.

I've not heard of overlayfs being used over hugetlbfs.

Overlayfs on tmpfs is definitely used, I guess without hugepages.
But if we'd want to allow tmpfs _without_ hugepages but not tmpfs
_with_ hugepages, then we can't just whitelist based on filesystem
type, but need to look at mount options as well. Which isn't really a
clean solution either.

> IMO - This BUG/report revealed two issues. First is the BUG by mmap'ing
> a hugetlbfs file on overlayfs. The other is that core mmap code will skip
> any filesystem specific get_unmapped area routine if on a union/overlay.
> My patch fixes both, but if we go with a whitelist approach and don't allow
> hugetlbfs I think we still need to address the filesystem specific
> get_unmapped area issue. That is easy enough to do by adding a routine to
> overlayfs which calls the routine for the underlying fs.

I think the two are strongly related: get_unmapped_area() adjusts the
address alignment, and the is_file_hugepages() call in
ksys_mmap_pgoff() adjusts the length alignment.

Is there any other purpose for which f_op->get_unmapped_area() is
used by a filesystem?

Thanks,
Miklos

  Last update: 2020-05-20 13:21    [W:0.073 / U:1.016 seconds]