SubjectRe: ARM: static kernel in vmalloc space
On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 02:41:11PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 1:18 PM afzal mohammed <afzal.mohd.ma@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 09:49:59PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> >
> > > Any idea which bit you want to try next?
> >
> > My plan has been to next post patches for the static kernel migration
> > to vmalloc space (currently the code is rigid, taking easy route
> > wherever possible & not of high quality) as that feature has an
> > independent existence & adds value by itself. And then start working
> > on other steps towards VMSPLIT_4G_4G.
> >
> > Now that you mentioned about other things, i will slowly start those
> > as well.
>
> Sounds good.
>
> > > Creating a raw_copy_{from,to}_user()
> > > based on get_user_pages()/kmap_atomic()/memcpy() is probably a good
> > > next thing to do. I think it can be done one page at a time with only
> > > checking for
> > > get_fs(), access_ok(), and page permissions, while get_user()/put_user()
> > > need to handle a few more corner cases.
> >
> > Before starting w/ other things, i would like to align on the high
> > level design,
> >
> > My understanding (mostly based on your comments) as follows,
> > (i currently do not have a firm grip over these things, hope to have
> > it once started w/ the implementation)
> >
> > 1. SoC w/ LPAE
> > 2. TTBR1 (top 256MB) for static kernel, modules, io mappings, vmalloc,
> > kmap, fixmap & vectors
>
> Right, these kind of go together because pre-LPAE cannot do the
> same TTBR1 split, and they more frequently have conflicting
> static mappings.
>
> It's clearly possible to do something very similar for older chips
> (v6 or v7 without LPAE, possibly even v5), it just gets harder
> while providing less benefit.

Forget about doing this for anything without a PIPT cache - or you're
going to end up having to flush the data cache each time you enter or
exit the kernel.

FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 10.2Mbps down 587kbps up

  Last update: 2020-05-14 18:27    [W:0.156 / U:0.280 seconds]