SubjectRE: I disabled more compiler warnings..
Date
From: Linus Torvalds
> Sent: 10 May 2020 20:33
> And as part of that, there were a lot of new warnings in the kernel build.
>
> I let them go for a while, in the belief that I could deal with it,
> but then yesterday I did a pull and didn't initially even notice that
> the end result didn't compile for me, because the build error was
> hidden by the hundreds of lines of warnings ...

One problem is that gmake is very bad at stopping parallel
makes when one command fails.
So the kernel build carries on firing off new compilations
even after one has failed.

I've not looked inside gmake, but I fixed nmake so that it
properly used a single job token pipe for the entire (NetBSD)
build and then flushed and refilled it with 'abort' tokens
when any command failed.
That made the build stop almost immediately.

David

Registration No: 1397386 (Wales)

  Last update: 2020-05-11 09:44    [W:0.094 / U:0.408 seconds]