SubjectRe: [RFC 0/3] Introduce cpufreq minimum load QoS
Date

On 4/29/20 6:12 PM, Valentin Schneider wrote:
> On 29/04/2020 16:57, Benjamin GAIGNARD wrote:

>>> This seems to be addressing a use case that can be addressed with the help of
>>> utilization clamps with less power overhead.
>> Do mean clamping the policy frequencies ? I may have miss the API to do
>> that...
> IIUC Rafael is referring to uclamp, i.e. scheduler utilization clamping, see:
>
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/cgroup-v2.html#cpu
>
> The above describes the cgroup interface, note that you can also set clamps
> per task (via sched_setattr()).
>
> One thing that comes to mind however is that schedutil only "sees" the clamps
> of runnable tasks, and from reading your changelog you may not have moments
> without any (i.e. gears are grinding in HW). You'd have to try boosting
> (setting a high uclamp.min) whatever tasks you have on the software side and
> see how it all behaves.
Relying on userland side means that various applications need to be aware
of this specific hardware case and fix it. I was hoping to find a
solution in side the kernel
to not impact the software side.

>>> Thanks!

  Last update: 2020-04-30 09:54    [W:0.103 / U:0.308 seconds]