SubjectRe: bug: Kbuild seems to require "make prepare-objtool" in order to use (some) new config vars
On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 4:10 AM Mauro Carvalho Chehab
<mchehab+huawei@kernel.org> wrote:

> [...]
> > > trivial), but, instead, that, despite the config var was
> > > there, when I tried to build it with:
> > >
> > > make clean; make M=drivers/staging/media/atomisp
> > >
> > > It didn't do the right thing. Instead, it used ISP2401=y
> > > on make clean and ISP2401=n at the drivers build.
> > >
> > > So, in order to test if patches won't break building,
> > > depending on the value of this var, I'm currently doing:
> > >
> > > cls;./scripts/config -d CONFIG_VIDEO_ATOMISP_ISP2401 && make prepare-objtool && make clean && make M=drivers/staging/media/atomisp && ./scripts/config -e CONFIG_VIDEO_ATOMISP_ISP2401 && make prepare-objtool && make clean && make M=drivers/staging/media/atomisp
> > >
> > > (note the alien "make prepare-objtool" in the middle)

> > > Yeah, dependencies at the media subsystem are usually quite complex.

> > > I'm applying the enclosed patch to this branch:
> > >
> > > https://git.linuxtv.org/mchehab/experimental.git/log/?h=atomisp_v2
> > >
> > > and running this:
> > >
> > > $ make allyesconfig 2>/dev/null >/dev/null; echo "disable";./scripts/config -d CONFIG_VIDEO_ATOMISP_ISP2401 && make M=drivers/staging/media/atomisp && ./scripts/config -e CONFIG_VIDEO_ATOMISP_ISP2401 && echo "enable" && make clean && make M=drivers/staging/media/atomisp
> > > disable
> > >
> > > WARNING: Symbol version dump ./Module.symvers
> > > is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.
> > >
> > > ************ ISP2401: y ************
> > > AR drivers/staging/media/atomisp/built-in.a
> > > ************ ISP2401: y ************
> > > MODPOST 0 modules
> > > enable
> > > ************ ISP2401: ************
> > >
> > > WARNING: Symbol version dump ./Module.symvers
> > > is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.
> > >
> > > ************ ISP2401: y ************
> > > AR drivers/staging/media/atomisp/built-in.a
> > > ************ ISP2401: y ************
> > > MODPOST 0 modules
> > >
> > > PS.: the same occurs if I use "make allmodconfig".
> >

> > This is the expected behavior.
> >
> > The problem is that you immediately compile the module after
> > you tweak the .config file.
> >
> > Kbuild does not use the .config file directly.
> > Instead, it uses include/config/auto.conf.
> >

> > The M= builds never touch the in-kernel build artifacts,
> > so it includes the stale include/config/auto.conf
>
> I'm pretty sure that this used to work in the past.
>
> Can't we have something similar to[1]:
>
> include/config/auto.conf: .config
>
> in order to force auto.conf to be re-generated if the .config file
> was modified?
>
> [1] yeah, I know that the above won't work currently, because of the
> ifdefs, but perhaps something like this could be done inside the
> "if KBUILD_EXTMOD" part of the Makefile.
>
> > After you change the .config, you must run 'make modules_prepare'
> > at least.
> >
> > This is documented in 'make help'.
> >

> > modules_prepare - Set up for building external modules
>
> Yeah, I noticed this new target on more recent Kernels. I was not
> familiar with this "new" concept of "external"[2].

The meaning of "new" depends on people.

The 'modules_prepare' target was added in 2004.

This commit:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/history/history.git/commit/?id=95065ad3fa787c417008a36d3a5d9a3bab17ab98

I do not think it is new, but you may think differently.

One more thing,
please tell me the motivation to do:

make M=drivers/staging/media/atomisp

The main usage of M= is to build external modules.
If you want to compile the individual directory,
you can do this:

make drivers/staging/media/stomisp/

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada

  Last update: 2020-05-01 04:32    [W:0.098 / U:0.188 seconds]