SubjectRe: linux-kernel: Unused static inline functions
(adding Julia Lawall and Dan Carpenter who may have ideas too)

On Thu, 2020-04-23 at 11:57 -0700, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
> I've been mulling over teaching a class internally at Google on
> getting started contributing to the Linux kernel. I think this idea
> (removing dead static inline functions) is perfect for having lots of
> small little tasks that are clear wins. Do you have any other ideas
> for work that there's a lot of? Like lots of small little bite sized
> tasks? Maybe more fallthrough conversion? Anything else?

Some generic ideas:

o look for always unused/unreferenced, or always static
value function arguments and remove them

o int function returns constrained to 0 or 1 could be
converted to bool.

And some logging ideas:

o printk to tracing conversions

o removal of printks used just for function tracing
as ftrace works well

o pr_<level> macro conversions to functions to save
object space

o singletons for pr_fmt

o default use of #define pr_fmt(fmt) KBUILD_MODNAME ": " fmt
and removal of the ~1200 current defines treewide

> Happy to have folks use your script and add your suggested by tag.

Suggested-by doesn't have much value to me,
especially for scripted stuff.

I'd be happy enough that it gets done eventually.

  Last update: 2020-04-23 23:24    [W:0.066 / U:0.228 seconds]