    SubjectRe: [RFC for Linux] virtio_balloon: Add VIRTIO_BALLOON_F_THP_ORDER to handle THP spilt issue
    On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 04:09:59PM +0200, David Hildenbrand wrote:

> [...]

    ..

    > I expect the whole "steal huge pages from your guest" to be problematic,
    > as I already mentioned to Alex. This needs a performance evaluation.
    >
    > This all smells like a lot of workload dependent fine-tuning. :)

    So that's why I proposed the API above.

    The idea is that *if we are allocating a huge page anyway*,
    rather than break it up let's send it whole to the device.
    If we have smaller pages, return smaller pages.

    That seems like it would always be an improvement, whatever the
    workload.

    --
    MST

      Last update: 2020-03-31 16:19    [W:3.579 / U:0.028 seconds]