SubjectRe: WARNING: ODEBUG bug in tcindex_destroy_work (3)
On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 11:36:16AM -0700, Cong Wang wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 6:01 PM Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de> wrote:
> >
> > Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@gmail.com> writes:

> > > Good catch!
> > >
> > > I thought about this when I added this ordered workqueue, but it
> > > seems I misinterpret max_active, so despite we have max_active==1,
> > > more than 1 work could still be queued on different CPU's here.
> >
> > The workqueue is not the problem. it works perfectly fine. The way how
> > the work gets queued is the issue.
>
> Well, a RCU work is also a work, so the ordered workqueue should
> apply to RCU works too, from users' perspective. Users should not
> need to learn queue_rcu_work() is actually a call_rcu() which does
> not guarantee the ordering for an ordered workqueue.

And the workqueues might well guarantee the ordering in cases where the
pair of RCU callbacks are invoked in a known order. But that workqueues
ordering guarantee does not extend upstream to RCU, nor do I know of a
reasonable way to make this happen within the confines of RCU.

If you have ideas, please do not keep them a secret, but please also
understand that call_rcu() must meet some pretty severe performance and
scalability constraints.

I suppose that queue_rcu_work() could track outstanding call_rcu()
invocations, and (one way or another) defer the second queue_rcu_work()
if a first one is still pending from the current task, but that might not
make the common-case user of queue_rcu_work() all that happy. But perhaps
there is a way to restrict these semantics to ordered workqueues. In that
case, one could imagine the second and subsequent too-quick call to
queue_rcu_work() using the rcu_head structure's ->next field to queue these
too-quick callbacks, and then having rcu_work_rcufn() check for queued
too-quick callbacks, queuing the first one.

But I must defer to Tejun on this one.

And one additional caution... This would meter out ordered
queue_rcu_work() requests at a rate of no faster than one per RCU
grace period. The queue might build up, resulting in long delays.
Are you sure that your use case can live with this?

> > > I don't know how to fix this properly, I think essentially RCU work
> > > should be guaranteed the same ordering with regular work. But this
> > > seems impossible unless RCU offers some API to achieve that.
> >
> > I don't think that's possible w/o putting constraints on the flexibility
> > of RCU (Paul of course might disagree).
> >
> > I assume that the filters which hang of tcindex_data::perfect and
> > tcindex_data:p must be freed before tcindex_data, right?
> >
> > Refcounting of tcindex_data should do the trick. I.e. any element which
> > you add to a tcindex_data instance takes a refcount and when that is
> > destroyed then the rcu/work callback drops a reference which once it
> > reaches 0 triggers tcindex_data to be freed.
>
> Yeah, but the problem is more than just tcindex filter, we have many
> places make the same assumption of ordering.

But don't you also have a situation where there might be a large group
of queue_rcu_work() invocations whose order doesn't matter, followed by a
single queue_rcu_work() invocation that must be ordered after the earlier
group? If so, ordering -all- of these invocations might be overkill.

Or did I misread your code?

Thanx, Paul

  Last update: 2020-03-25 19:58    [W:0.931 / U:0.008 seconds]