lkml.org 
[lkml]   [2020]   [Mar]   [23]   [last100]   RSS Feed
Views: [wrap][no wrap]   [headers]  [forward] 
 
Messages in this thread
/
Date
From
SubjectRe: [PATCH v7 03/14] KVM: X86: Don't track dirty for KVM_SET_[TSS_ADDR|IDENTITY_MAP_ADDR]
On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 08:42:16AM -0700, Sean Christopherson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 10:58:24AM -0400, Peter Xu wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 12:22:11PM -0700, Sean Christopherson wrote:
> > > On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 12:37:09PM -0400, Peter Xu wrote:
> > > > diff --git a/arch/x86/kvm/x86.c b/arch/x86/kvm/x86.c
> > > > index e54c6ad628a8..a5123a0aa7d6 100644
> > > > --- a/arch/x86/kvm/x86.c
> > > > +++ b/arch/x86/kvm/x86.c
> > > > @@ -9786,7 +9786,34 @@ void kvm_arch_sync_events(struct kvm *kvm)
> > > > kvm_free_pit(kvm);
> > > > }
> > > >
> > > > -int __x86_set_memory_region(struct kvm *kvm, int id, gpa_t gpa, u32 size)
> > > > +#define ERR_PTR_USR(e) ((void __user *)ERR_PTR(e))
> > > > +
> > > > +/**
> > > > + * __x86_set_memory_region: Setup KVM internal memory slot
> > > > + *
> > > > + * @kvm: the kvm pointer to the VM.
> > > > + * @id: the slot ID to setup.
> > > > + * @gpa: the GPA to install the slot (unused when @size == 0).
> > > > + * @size: the size of the slot. Set to zero to uninstall a slot.
> > > > + *
> > > > + * This function helps to setup a KVM internal memory slot. Specify
> > > > + * @size > 0 to install a new slot, while @size == 0 to uninstall a
> > > > + * slot. The return code can be one of the following:
> > > > + *
> > > > + * HVA: on success (uninstall will return a bogus HVA)
> > > > + * -errno: on error
> > > > + *
> > > > + * The caller should always use IS_ERR() to check the return value
> > > > + * before use. NOTE: KVM internal memory slots are guaranteed and
> > >
> > > "are guaranteed" to ...
> > >
> > > > + * won't change until the VM is destroyed. This is also true to the
> > > > + * returned HVA when installing a new memory slot. The HVA can be
> > > > + * invalidated by either an errornous userspace program or a VM under
> > > > + * destruction, however as long as we use __copy_{to|from}_user()
> > > > + * properly upon the HVAs and handle the failure paths always then
> > > > + * we're safe.
> > >
> > > Regarding the HVA, it's a bit confusing saying that it's guaranteed to be
> > > valid, and then contradicting that in the second clause. Maybe something
> > > like this to explain the GPA->HVA is guaranteed to be valid, but the
> > > HVA->HPA is not.
> > >
> > > /*
> > > * before use. Note, KVM internal memory slots are guaranteed to remain valid
> > > * and unchanged until the VM is destroyed, i.e. the GPA->HVA translation will
> > > * not change. However, the HVA is a user address, i.e. its accessibility is
> > > * not guaranteed, and must be accessed via __copy_{to,from}_user().
> > > */
> >
> > Sure I can switch to this, though note that I still think the GPA->HVA
> > is not guaranteed logically because the userspace can unmap any HVA it
> > wants..
>
> You're conflating the GPA->HVA translation with the validity of the HVA,
> i.e. the HVA->HPA and/or HVA->VMA translation/association. GPA->HVA is
> guaranteed because userspace doesn't have access to the memslot which
> defines that transation.

Yes I completely agree if you mean the pure mapping of GPA->HVA.

I think it's a matter of how to define the "valid" when you say
"guaranteed to remain valid", because I don't think the mapping is
still valid from the most strict sense if e.g. the backing HVA does
not exist any more for that GPA->HVA mapping, then the memslot won't
be anything useful.

>
> > However I agree that shouldn't be important from kvm's perspective as long as
> > we always emphasize on using legal HVA accessors.
>
> The fact that GPA->HVA can't change _is_ important, otherwise KVM would
> need to take steps to ensure that whatever can change GPA->HVA can't run
> concurrently with consuming the HVA.

I wanted to mean "the userspace unmaps the HVA" is not important. The
mapping is for sure important!

Thanks,

--
Peter Xu

\
 
 \ /
  Last update: 2020-03-23 17:28    [W:0.064 / U:1.416 seconds]
©2003-2020 Jasper Spaans|hosted at Digital Ocean and TransIP|Read the blog|Advertise on this site