SubjectRe: Have RESOLVE_* flags superseded AT_* flags for new syscalls?
On Mon, Mar 02, 2020 at 01:05:04PM +0100, Christian Brauner wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 02, 2020 at 12:52:39PM +0100, Christian Brauner wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 02, 2020 at 12:30:47PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > > * Christian Brauner:

> > > I'm not sure what you are after here …
> >
> > Exactly what you've commented below. Input on whether any of these
> > changes would be either problematic if you e.g. were to implement
> > openat() on top of openat2() in the future or if it would be problematic
> > if we e.g. were to really deprecate AT_* flags for new syscalls.

> > > I missed the start of the dicussion and what this is about, sorry.
> > >
> > > Regarding open flags, I think the key point for future APIs is to avoid
> > > using the set of flags for both control of the operation itself
> > > (O_NOFOLLOW/AT_SYMLINK_NOFOLLOW, O_NOCTTY) and properaties of the
> > > resulting descriptor (O_RDWR, O_SYNC). I expect that doing that would
>
> Yeah, we have touched on that already and we have other APIs having
> related problems. A clean way to avoid this problem is to require new
> syscalls to either have two flag arguments, or - if appropriate -
> suggest they make use of struct open_how that was implemented for
> openat2().

By the way, if we really means business wrt to: separate resolution from
fd-property falgs then shouldn't we either require O_NOFOLLOW for
openat2() be specified in open_how->resolve or disallow O_NOFOLLOW for
openat2() and introduce a new RESOLVE_* variant?

Christian

  Last update: 2020-03-02 16:11    [W:0.098 / U:0.120 seconds]