SubjectRe: WARNING: bad unlock balance in ovl_llseek
On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 2:24 PM Amir Goldstein <amir73il@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > What's strange it that a bug in overlay code cannot be triggered if overlay
> > > isn't mounted and as it is the repro couldn't mount overlayfs at all, at
> > > lease with my kernel config.
> >
> > Can it depend on kernel config? The bug was triggered by the program
> > provided somehow.
>
> I am not sure. I do not have CONFIG_HARDENED_USERCOPY set.
>

> > Separate question: why is it failing? Isn't src unused for overlayfs?
> > Where/how does vfs code look at src?
> >

> SYSCALL_DEFINE5(mount, ...
> copy_mount_string(dev_name)
> strndup_user()
> memdup_user()
> copy_from_user()
>
> Not in overlayfs code.
> Actually, the source (dev) is not used by overlayfs but is visible at
> /proc/mounts.

Oh, I see, this is another instance of "fuzzer fun".

In the descriptions we define src argument as const 0. And const 0 is
fine and is accepted by copy_mount_string (it has a check for NULL).
Generally fuzzer does not try to change values specified as const, but
sometimes it does. So I guess it happened so that address 0x400000ul
is mapped onto the executable and contained something that resembles a
null-terminated string so that copy_mount_string did not fail (but
otherwise that string does not matter much for overlayfs). But in your
binary 0x400000ul did not contain an addressable null-terminated
string and mount failed.
Additionally we don't attempt changing const value back to the default
value during crash mimization/simplification process:
https://github.com/google/syzkaller/blob/4a4e0509de520c7139ca2b5606712cbadc550db2/prog/minimization.go#L202-L206
because it was deemed too expensive (for each attempt we need a
freshly booted and clean machine) and not important enough (just a
single arg value and does not increase "systematic complexity" of the
repro).

All of this has combined into the effect we see here... I am not sure
what's the action item here...

FWIW fuzzer-found will always be more expensive to debug and deal with
for a very long tail of various reasons. Unit tests don't have this
problem. If only we had a comprehensive test coverage for kernel, we
would not need to deal with so many fuzzer-found bugs... ;)

  Last update: 2020-03-02 15:59    [W:0.230 / U:0.096 seconds]