SubjectRe: [patch 4/8] x86/entry: Move irq tracing on syscall entry to C-code
Date

>>> You are talking about verifying that a non-rcuidle tracepoint is not called
>>> into when RCU is not watching right? I think that's fine, though I feel
>>> lockdep kernels should not be slowed down any more than they already are. I
>>> feel over time if we add too many checks to lockdep enabled kernels, then it
>>> becomes too slow even for "debug" kernels. May be it is time for a
>>> CONFIG_LOCKDEP_SLOW or some such? And then anyone who wants to go crazy on
>>> runtime checking can do so. I myself want to add a few.
>>>
>>> Note that the checking is being added into "non rcu-idle" tracepoints many of
>>> which are probably always called when RCU is watching, making such checking
>>> useless for those tracepoints (and slowing them down however less).
>>>

>> Indeed. Static analysis would help a lot here.
>>
>>> Also another note would be that the whole reason we are getting rid of the
>>> "make RCU watch when rcuidle" logic in DO_TRACE is because it is slow for
>>> tracepoints that are frequently called into. Another reason to do it is
>>> because tracepoint callbacks are expected to know what they are doing and
>>> turn on RCU watching as appropriate (as consensus on the matter suggests).
>>
>> Whoa there. We arch people need crystal clear rules as to what tracepoints
>> can be called in what contexts and what is the responsibility of the
>> callbacks.
>>

> The direction that Peter, Mathieu and Steve are going is that callbacks
> registered on "rcu idle" tracepoints need to turn on "RCU watching"
> themselves. Such as perf. Turning on "RCU watching" is non-free as I tested
> in 2017 and we removed it back then, but it was added right back when perf
> started splatting. Now it is being removed again, and the turning on of RCU's
> eyes happens in the perf callback itself since perf uses RCU.
>
> If you are calling trace_.._rcuidle(), can you not ensure that RCU is
> watching by calling the appropriate RCU APIs in your callbacks? Or did I miss
> the point?

Unless I’ve misunderstood you, the problem is that the callback and the caller are totally different subsystems. I can count the number of people who know which tracepoints need RCU turned on in their callbacks without using any fingers (tglx and I are still at least a bit confused— I’m not convinced *anyone* knows for sure).

I think we need some credible rule for which events need special handling in their callbacks, and then we need to ensure that all subsystems that install callbacks, including BPF, follow the rule. It should not be up to the author of a BPF program to get this right.

> thanks,
>
> - Joel

  Last update: 2020-03-02 06:41    [W:0.137 / U:1.368 seconds]