SubjectRe: [patch part-II V2 02/13] x86/entry: Mark enter_from_user_mode() notrace and NOKPROBE
On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 04:40:54PM +0100, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> Frederic Weisbecker <frederic@kernel.org> writes:
>
> > On Sun, Mar 08, 2020 at 11:24:01PM +0100, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> >> Both the callers in the low level ASM code and __context_tracking_exit()
> >> which is invoked from enter_from_user_mode() via user_exit_irqoff() are
> >> marked NOKPROBE. Allowing enter_from_user_mode() to be probed is
> >> inconsistent at best.
> >>
> >> Aside of that while function tracing per se is safe the function trace
> >> entry/exit points can be used via BPF as well which is not safe to use
> >> before context tracking has reached CONTEXT_KERNEL and adjusted RCU.
> >>
> >> Mark it notrace and NOKROBE.
> >
> > Ok for the NOKPROBE, also I remember from the inclusion of kprobes
> > that spreading those NOKPROBE couldn't be more than some sort of best
> > effort to mitigate the accidents and it's up to the user to keep some
> > common sense and try to stay away from the borderline functions. The same
> > would apply to breakpoints, steps, etc...
> >
> > Now for the BPF and function tracer, the latter has been made robust to
> > deal with these fragile RCU blind spots. Probably the same requirements should be
> > expected from the function tracer users. Perhaps we should have a specific
> > version of __register_ftrace_function() which protects the given probes
> > inside rcu_nmi_enter()? As it seems the BPF maintainer doesn't want the whole
> > BPF execution path to be hammered.
>
> Right. The problem is that as things stand e.g. for tracepoints you need
> to invoke trace_foo_rcuidle() which then does the scru/rcu_irq dance
> around the invocation, but then the functions attached need to be fixed
> that they are not issuing rcu_read_lock() or such.
>
> While that is halfways doable for tracepoints when you place them, the
> whole function entry/exit hooks along with kprobes are even more
> interesting because functions can be called from arbitrary contexts...
>
> So to make this sane, you'd need to do:
>
> if (!rcu_watching()) {
> } else {
> }
>
> and the reverse when leaving the thing. So in the worst case you end up
> with a gazillion of scru/rcu_irq pairs which really make crap slow.
>
> So we are way better off to have well defined off limit regions and are
> careful about them and then switch over ONCE and be done with it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> tglx

Ok given the discussion on the big tracing thread I think I got convinced that early
entry code is best left out of tracing anyway.

Acked-by: Frederic Weisbecker <frederic@kernel.org>

  Last update: 2020-03-11 23:22    [W:0.076 / U:1.580 seconds]