SubjectRe: Rseq registration: Google tcmalloc vs glibc
On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 1:56 PM Mathieu Desnoyers
<mathieu.desnoyers@efficios.com> wrote:

> ----- On Feb 26, 2020, at 12:27 PM, Chris Kennelly ckennelly@google.com wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 12:01 PM Mathieu Desnoyers
> > <mathieu.desnoyers@efficios.com> wrote:

> >> I suspect the integration with glibc and with dlopen'd/dlclose'd libraries will
> >> not
> >> behave correctly with the current tcmalloc implementation.
> >>
> >> Based on the tcmalloc code-base, InitFastPerCpu is only called from IsFast. As
> >> long
> >> as this is the only expected caller, having IsFast comparing the RseqCpuId
> >> detects
> >> whether glibc (or some other library) has already registered rseq for the
> >> current
> >> thread.
> >>
> >> However, if the application chooses to invoke InitFastPerCpu() directly, things
> >> become
> >> expected, because it invokes:
> >>
> >> absl::base_internal::LowLevelCallOnce(&init_per_cpu_once, InitPerCpu);
> >>
> >> which AFAIU invokes InitPerCpu once after execution of the current program.
> >> Which
> >> does:
> >>
> >> static bool InitThreadPerCpu() {
> >> if (__rseq_refcount++ > 0) {
> >> return true;
> >> }
> >>
> >> auto ret = syscall(__NR_rseq, &__rseq_abi, sizeof(__rseq_abi), 0,
> >> PERCPU_RSEQ_SIGNATURE);
> >> if (ret == 0) {
> >> return true;
> >> } else {
> >> __rseq_refcount--;
> >> }
> >>
> >> return false;
> >> }
> >>
> >> static void InitPerCpu() {
> >> // Based on the results of successfully initializing the first thread, mark
> >> // init_status to initialize all subsequent threads.
> >> if (InitThreadPerCpu()) {
> >> init_status = kFastMode;
> >> }
> >> }
> >>
> >> In a scenario where glibc has already registered Rseq, the __rseq_refcount will
> >> be incremented, the __NR_rseq syscall will fail with -1, errno=EBUSY, so the
> >> refcount
> >> will be immediately decremented and it will return false. Therefore,
> >> "init_status" will
> >> never be set fo kFastMode, leaving it in kSlowMode for the entire lifetime of
> >> this
> >> program. That being said, even though this state can come as a surprise, it
> >> seems to
> >> be entirely bypassed by the fast-paths IsFast() and IsFastNoInit(), so maybe it
> >> won't
> >> have any observable side-effects other than leaving init_status in a state that
> >> does not
> >> match reality.
> >
> > I agree that this could potentially violate inviarants, but
> > InitFastPerCpu is not intended to be called by the application.
>
> OK, explicitly documenting this would be a good thing. In my own projects,
> [...]

No explicit call is necessary. This is something that can be done in
the slow path, since we can recognize the transition from slow -> fast
path for that thread

  Last update: 2020-02-26 20:13    [W:0.666 / U:0.092 seconds]