SubjectRe: [tip: core/objtool] objtool: Fail the kernel build on fatal errors
On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 02:43:39PM -0800, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 9:58 AM Josh Poimboeuf <jpoimboe@redhat.com> wrote:

> > > Good. Last time we made it fail they just fixed their stuff.

> > > Why? It's our decision to define which level of toolchain brokeness is
> > > tolerable.

> > > I really want to see a revert which has a proper justification why the
> > > issues of clang are tolerable along with a clear statement when this
> > > fatal error will come back. And 'when' means a date, not 'when clang is
> > > fixed'.
> >
> > Fair enough. The root cause was actually a bug in binutils which gets
> > triggered by a new clang feature. So instead of reverting the above
> > patch, I think I've figured out a way to work around the binutils bug,
> > while also improving objtool at the same time (win-win).
> >
> > The binutils bug will be fixed in binutils 2.35.
> >
> > BTW, to be fair, this was less "Clang has issues" and more "Josh is
> > lazy". I didn't test the patch with Clang -- I tend to rely on 0-day
> > bot reports because I don't have the bandwidth to test the
> > kernel/config/toolchain combinations. Nick tells me Clang will soon be
> > integrated with the 0-day bot, which should help prevent this type of
> > thing in the future.
>
> Hi Rong, Philip,
> Do you have any status updates on turning on the 0day bot emails to
> the patch authors in production? It's been quite handy in helping us
> find issues, for the private mails we've been triaging daily.
Hi Nick, this is on our schedule in a new 2-3 weeks, sorry not to update
your in another mail loop earlier.

What I plan to do is to cc you for the clang reports when 0-day ci sends
to kernel patch author. If you notice something may be related to clang (since
we always integrate newer clang version), you can help filter it out. How
do you think?

> --
> Thanks,
> ~Nick Desaulniers

  Last update: 2020-02-20 01:45    [W:0.057 / U:1.208 seconds]