SubjectRE: Is it safe for a NIC driver to use all the 48 bytes of skb->cb?
Date

Got it. So if the upper layer saves something in the cb, it must do a skb_clone()
and pass the new skb to hv_netvsc. hv_netvsc is the lowest layer in the network
stack, so it can use all the 48 bytes without calling skb_clone().

BTW, now I happen to have a different question: in netvsc_probe() we have
net->needed_headroom = RNDIS_AND_PPI_SIZE;
I think this means when the network stack (ARP, IP, ICMP, TCP, UDP,etc) passes a
skb to hv_netvsc, the skb's headroom is increased by an extra size of
net->needed_headroom, right? Then in netvsc_xmit(), why do we still need to
call skb_cow_head(skb, RNDIS_AND_PPI_SIZE)? -- this looks unnecessary to me?

PS, what does the "cow" here mean? Copy On Write? It looks skb_cow_head()
just copies the data (if necessary) and it has nothing to do with the
write-protection in the MMU code.

Thanks,
Dexuan

  Last update: 2020-02-15 19:05    [W:0.080 / U:1.320 seconds]