SubjectRe: [v1,net-next, 1/2] ethtool: add setting frame preemption of traffic classes
Date
Murali Karicheri <m-karicheri2@ti.com> writes:

> We are still working to send a patch for taprio offload on our hardware
> and it may take a while to get to this. So if someone can help to add
> the required kernel/driver interface for this, that will be great!

Will add this to my todo list. But if anyone else has the spare cycles
feel free to have a go at it.

>>> This can be exported similarly.
>>
>> In my view, having this as a "runtime" error is not useful, as we can
>> verify this at configuration time.
>
> Looks like this is not an error per 802.1Q standard if I understood it
> correctly.
>
> This is what I see.
> From 802.1Q 2018, 8.6.9.1.1 SetCycleStartTime()
>
> If AdminBaseTime is set to the same time in the past in all bridges and
> end stations, OperBaseTime is always in the past, and all cycles start
> synchronized. Using AdminBaseTime in the past is appropriate when you
> can start schedules prior to starting the application that uses the
> schedules. Use of AdminBaseTime in the future is intended to change a
> currently running schedule in all bridges and end stations to a new
> schedule at a future time. Using AdminBaseTime in the future is
> appropriate when schedules must be changed without stopping the
> application

What I meant here is the case that I already have an "oper" schedule
running, so my "oper->base_time" is in the past, and I try to add an
"admin" schedule with a "base_time" also in the past. What's the
expected behavior in this case? The text about stopping/starting
applications doesn't seem to apply to the way the tc subsystem interacts
with the applications.

>> Hm, now I understamd what you meant here...
>>

>>> Not sure what answer you expect to receive for "is there any plan".
>>> You can go ahead and propose something, as long as it is reasonably
>>> useful to have.
>>
>> ... if this is indeed useful, perhaps one way to do is to add a subcommand
>> to TC_SETUP_QDISC_TAPRIO, so we can retrieve the stats/information we want
>> from the driver. Similar to what cls_flower does.
>>

> What I understand is that there will be some work done to allow auto
> configuration of TSN nodes from user space and that would need access to
> all or some of the above parameters along with tc command to configure
> the same. May be a open source project for this or some custom
> application? Any such projects existing??

Yeah, this is a big missing piece for TSN. I've heard 'netopeer2' and
'sysrepo' mentioned when similar questions were asked, but I have still
to take a look at them and see what's missing. (Or if they are the right
tool for the job)

--
Vinicius

  Last update: 2020-02-11 20:22    [W:0.217 / U:0.140 seconds]