SubjectRe: [RFC v2 2/2] [MOCKUP] sched/mm: Lightweight lazy mm refcounting
Excerpts from Andy Lutomirski's message of December 5, 2020 12:37 am:

>> On Dec 3, 2020, at 11:54 PM, Nicholas Piggin <npiggin@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Excerpts from Andy Lutomirski's message of December 4, 2020 3:26 pm:
>>> This is a mockup. It's designed to illustrate the algorithm and how the
>>> code might be structured. There are several things blatantly wrong with
>>> it:
>>>
>>> The coding stype is not up to kernel standards. I have prototypes in the
>>> wrong places and other hacks.
>>>
>>> There's a problem with mm_cpumask() not being reliable.
>>
>> Interesting, this might be a way to reduce those IPIs with fairly
>> minimal fast path cost. Would be interesting to see how much performance
>> advantage it has over my dumb simple shoot-lazies.
>
> My real motivation isn’t really performance per se. I think there’s considerable value in keeping the core algorithms the same across all architectures, and I think my approach can manage that with only a single hint from the architecture as to which CPUs to scan.
>
> With shoot-lazies, in contrast, enabling it everywhere would either malfunction or have very poor performance or even DoS issues on arches like arm64 and s390x that don’t track mm_cpumask at all. I’m sure we could come up with some way to mitigate that, but I think that my approach may be better overall for keeping the core code uniform and relatively straightforward.

I'd go the other way. The mm_cpumark, TLB, and lazy maintainence is
different between architectures anyway. I'd keep the simple refcount,
and the pretty simple shoot-lazies approaches for now at least until
a bit more is done on other fronts. If x86 is shooting down lazies on
the final TLB flush as well, then I might be inclined to think that's
the better way to go in the long term. Shoot-lazies would be a bit of
a bolted on hack for powerpc/hash but it has ~zero impact to core code
really.

Thanks,
Nick

  Last update: 2020-12-05 05:52    [W:1.609 / U:0.100 seconds]