SubjectRe: KRETPROBES are broken since kernel 5.8
Hi,

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 10:25:07AM +0900, Masami Hiramatsu wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> Thank you for reporting and debugging, actually we had investigated this
> issue in Aug. Please read this thread.
>
> https://lkml.kernel.org/r/8816bdbbc55c4d2397e0b02aad2825d3@trendmicro.com

Thanks for the link. I've read the entire history of proposed fix - very
informative :)

> We finally fixed this issue by commit e03b4a084ea6 ("kprobes: Remove NMI
> context check") and commit 645f224e7ba2 ("kprobes: Tell lockdep about
> kprobe nesting"). Yeah, it will be in the v5.10.
>
> Could you try to test whether these commits can solve the issue?

I've applied these commits on the top of kernel 5.9.7 and verified that it
works well. Non-optimized KRETPROBES are back to life.

However, there might be another issue which I wanted to brought / discuss -
problem with optimizer. Until kernel 5.9 KRETPROBE on e.g.
'ftrace_enable_sysctl' function was correctly optimized without any problems.
Since 5.9 it can't be optimized anynmore. I didn't see any changes in the
sources regarding the optimizer, neither function itself.
When I looked at the generated vmlinux binary, I can see that GCC generated
padding at the end of this function using INT3 opcode:

ffffffff8130528b: 41 bd f0 ff ff ff mov $0xfffffff0,%r13d
ffffffff81305291: e9 fe fe ff ff jmpq ffffffff81305194 <ftrace_enable_sysctl+0x114>
ffffffff81305296: cc int3
ffffffff81305297: cc int3
ffffffff81305298: cc int3
ffffffff81305299: cc int3
ffffffff8130529a: cc int3
ffffffff8130529b: cc int3
ffffffff8130529c: cc int3
ffffffff8130529d: cc int3
ffffffff8130529e: cc int3
ffffffff8130529f: cc int3

Such padding didn't exist in this function in generated images for older
kernels. Nevertheless, such padding is not unusual and it's pretty common.

Optimizer logic fails here:

try_to_optimize_kprobe() -> alloc_aggr_kprobe() -> __prepare_optimized_kprobe()
-> arch_prepare_optimized_kprobe() -> can_optimize():

/* Decode instructions */
addr = paddr - offset;
while (addr < paddr - offset + size) { /* Decode until function end */
unsigned long recovered_insn;
if (search_exception_tables(addr))
/*
* Since some fixup code will jumps into this function,
* we can't optimize kprobe in this function.
*/
return 0;
recovered_insn = recover_probed_instruction(buf, addr);
if (!recovered_insn)
return 0;
kernel_insn_init(&insn, (void *)recovered_insn, MAX_INSN_SIZE);
insn_get_length(&insn);
/* Another subsystem puts a breakpoint */
if (insn.opcode.bytes[0] == INT3_INSN_OPCODE)
return 0;
/* Recover address */
insn.kaddr = (void *)addr;
insn.next_byte = (void *)(addr + insn.length);
/* Check any instructions don't jump into target */
if (insn_is_indirect_jump(&insn) ||
insn_jump_into_range(&insn, paddr + INT3_INSN_SIZE,
DISP32_SIZE))
return 0;
addr += insn.length;
}

One of the check tries to protect from the situation when another subsystem
puts a breakpoint there as well:

/* Another subsystem puts a breakpoint */
if (insn.opcode.bytes[0] == INT3_INSN_OPCODE)
return 0;

However, that's not the case here. INT3_INSN_OPCODE is placed at the end of
the function as padding (and protect from NOP-padding problems).

I wonder, if optimizer should take this special case into account? Is it worth
to still optimize such functions when they are padded with INT3?

> If it is OK, we should backport those to stable tree.

Agreed.

Thanks,
Adam

--
pi3 (pi3ki31ny) - pi3 (at) itsec pl
http://pi3.com.pl

  Last update: 2020-12-10 08:20    [W:0.162 / U:0.068 seconds]